weight Distribution in Big Horn

I know some of you have replaced furniture in the BigHorn (3400RL). I plan on doing likewise. My question, are the recliners "so heavy" because of a weight distribution issue in traveling? The same for the couch as a counter balance for the kitchen? While, new furniture will be heavy does weight displacement become a issue i.e. Do I need to replace with equal weighted furniture?

Pulltab

I don't believe you will have any problems. An awful lot of weight goes on the pin due to the basement being loaded and with the front bedroom and all of your clothes. Heavier furniture in the rear will probably be a good thing.

HappyKayakers

JMHO, I'm not sure a great deal of thought went into weight distribution at the factory. One of these days, I'll get to one of the mobile RV weigh stations where they weigh each individual wheel and find out for sure. My guess is that the street side weighs more because of the kitchen and not enough to offset that on the door side.

On edit: Maybe they did think about it but couldn't figure a way make it all balanced.

Pulltab,

Where have you installed your tankless water heater? Did it require an 220 line? Does it work, and was it worth the expense?

jpmorgan37

Joe;

If you look at post number 2 here it will give you a good idea of how the trailers are balanced. Keep in mind, these are loaded for travel and some were full timers, so the weights varied some.

John

Pulltab

slarsenkim said:
Pulltab,

Where have you installed your tankless water heater? Did it require an 220 line? Does it work, and was it worth the expense?

It fits in the same spot the original one is in. It is propane only and works great. You never run out of hot water Ever (unless propane runs out of course :) ) If you are a fulltimer I think it is worth it in propane savings and less to maintain plus no tank to get that sour smell from. Pricey though about $900-1100 depending on what options you get. Water is MORE than hot and you can adjust it up or down. Pretty easy retrofit but will take you a couple of hours if you are handy with tools.

Pulltab, Thanks, I'll have to look into this retrofit. I can drive a straight nail, but that's the extent of my tool time talents:rolleyes:

HappyKayakers

jpmorgan37 said:
Joe;

If you look at post number 2 here it will give you a good idea of how the trailers are balanced. Keep in mind, these are loaded for travel and some were full timers, so the weights varied some.

John

John, Thanks for pointing me to that thread. The opposing sides on some of the rigs are a lot closer than I would've guessed. Did the folks from Weigh It mention what would be considered a 'significant' or 'dangerous' difference?

jpmorgan37

Joe;
They didn't give a number as far as I remember, other than to talk about keeping the weight distribution as equal as possible. It will affect the balance of the coach when towing, as well as tire wear. Maybe some of the other members who attended his lecture will be able to add to this.
John

WeighIt

Weighing like we do is a real informative tool, but when we find one side heavier than the other side, there isn't a lot that can be done to correct a design issue. We try to show where the actual weights are and how your trailer is handling that weight. I've looked at many manufacturers units, weighed a bunch of them, and many have the same issues. Hundreds of pounds heavier on one side. The biggest factor in having more weight on one side of the trailer is the possible overload of the tires and suspenison components. So many trailers are having tire issues, and so often, we find tires on one side either overloaded, or very close to being overloaded, or running not enough air pressure. Without weighing each wheel position you don't know for sure how your unit is balanced.

WeighIt

I don't really know at what point a trailer is dangerous by legal standards, but I have seen things that actually scared me. But, that trailer had been towed thousands of miles without problems. We have seen broken springs, broken shocks and mounts, torn frames at the spring mounts, bent axles, broken pin boxes. Talked to and weighed I bet over 100 units that have had tires fail on the heavy side of the trailer. So, weight can and does cause problems, but I don't know the magic number to be really concerned.

jpmorgan37

Stacy;
Thanks so much for "weighin in" on this. We appreciate your information and hope that you can make our Rally in Branson next year.
John