Securing an awning

campntn

What do you guys use to secure your awning during transit? The dealer recommended zipties. I have never felt the need to secure mine, but apparantly it is a good thing to do, especially with longer awnings.

sailorand

Past British Columbia Chapter Leader
touching my wooden head, so far I have not had any problems. I have seen others that have had problems though.
I just roll it up and check to make sure it is done right and drive.

boatdoc

I had one years ago that tried to unfurl on the interstate and luckily I saw it and got pulled over before it went the whole way. Since then I use the heavy duty velcro straps about 5/8ths wide and put them up at arms reach on the awning arms and have not had a problem since. Once the awning is out I just leave them wraped aound the arms for safe keeping.

snuffy

My understanding is that it is not the arms becoming loose, but the big tube unrolling the fabric when the catch breaks.

grizzlygiant

snuffy said:
My understanding is that it is not the arms becoming loose, but the big tube unrolling the fabric when the catch breaks.

That is correct. Mine unfurled with the arms securley in place. It makes quite an impressive show at 60 mph!!!:D :D

snuffy

I have a 1/4" metal rod with an L bent about 6 inches from the end. The short L goes into the side slot of the big tube and then velcros to the arm close to the end of the rod. Supposedly this will keep the tube from unrolling.

truknutt

Committed Member
Awning Lock Variations

Here are the links to some commercial solutions to having your awning unfurl:

http://awninglock.com

or

http://www.coilnwrap.com/awning/awninglock.htm

Velcro straps around the arms won't keep the awning tube from unrolling and possibly taking your entire awning assembly with it.

I have even seen backyard inventors mount a custom air deflector on the forward end of the awning tube (attached to the arm) to help keep the 55+ mph (yeah, right!) air from getting into the rolled up awning and working its devious magic. :eek:

Deepsky3539

I use the velcro straps from Camping World after my parents lost their awning driving through Nebraska. Wind caught it once it opened slightly and tore it clean off. Caused decent damage to the rig as the roller flipped around.

campntn

So really, the question comes down to which is better to secure; the awning itself or the arms?
Or...does it matter as long as one or the other is secure?
Personally, I like the less invasive straps. I may just buy a big bag of the zip ties and be done with it. Cheap and disposable and small.

snuffy

campntn said:
So really, the question comes down to which is better to secure; the awning itself or the arms?
Or...does it matter as long as one or the other is secure?
Personally, I like the less invasive straps. I may just buy a big bag of the zip ties and be done with it. Cheap and disposable and small.

Securing the arms will do no good if the catch on the tube breaks or unlocks. The arms usually do not dislodge from their closed position when the unfurling occurs.

wfwilson

Founding Canadian Region Director - Retired
I have been using the Velcro strips on the arms. I guess I will look into some sort of lock!
Wayne

jimtoo

I really like the looks of the one by gldcricket using the barrel bolt. And it looks like it would not be to hard to do if your a little mechanically inclined. I think I will pickup some parts tomorrow and try it out.

katkens

Founding Illinios Chapter Leader-retired
shovelguy said:
I use the Velcro straps off my awning de flappers.

I would have to agree with the post from "snuffy" don't believe velcro would do any good......Ken

ChopperBill

Think of it this way. If your awning gets messed up you can get a Carefree electric job! Happened to ours when the rain took it down and we did. Has to be one of the best up grades we have done. We use the awning a WHOLE bunch more now. Plus it is gear drive and cant unfurl going down the road. No straps or such needed. Here is the biggest PLUS. Renee can put it out and in and I can just sit back and watch. :D

snuffy

retired4fun said:
Think of it this way. If your awning gets messed up you can get a Carefree electric job! Happened to ours when the rain took it down and we did. Has to be one of the best up grades we have done. We use the awning a WHOLE bunch more now. Plus it is gear drive and cant unfurl going down the road. No straps or such needed. Here is the biggest PLUS. Renee can put it out and in and I can just sit back and watch. :D

The bad part is all the damage it might cause in the meantime.