Awning Insurance

JeffG1947

When we got our insurance from National Interstate we paid $9.00 extra for "awning" coverage.

Recently when pulling into a campsite a tree jumped out and took a nibble on one of our slide-out toppers. A number of pinholes along the topper and some of the plastic components on one end were scratched and one broken (topper still works).

So I decided to check if the insurance would cover this. The definitions in the policy do not specify which awning(s) are covered - I suppose that could go either way. And it's not clear whether the collision or comp deductible would apply. IMO it would be covered but not under the awning clause and it would fall into one of the deductibles. So I'll replace what needs to be replaced and patch the pinholes with clear vinyl tape since total cost either way is under the deductible level.

But what I thought you'd find funny is that when the insurance agent couldn't answer my question she referred me to NI Customer Service. They referred me to Claims who said they're not licensed to provide that information - I'd need to file a claim and the insurance adjuster would review and advise. It reminded me of an old Abbott & Costello routine.

It's definitely not the service I get from State Farm.

Hope you're enjoying the summer!!

Greengas

When we got our insurance from National Interstate we paid $9.00 extra for "awning" coverage.

Recently when pulling into a campsite a tree jumped out and took a nibble on one of our slide-out toppers. A number of pinholes along the topper and some of the plastic components on one end were scratched and one broken (topper still works).

So I decided to check if the insurance would cover this. The definitions in the policy do not specify which awning(s) are covered - I suppose that could go either way. And it's not clear whether the collision or comp deductible would apply. IMO it would be covered but not under the awning clause and it would fall into one of the deductibles. So I'll replace what needs to be replaced and patch the pinholes with clear vinyl tape since total cost either way is under the deductible level.

But what I thought you'd find funny is that when the insurance agent couldn't answer my question she referred me to NI Customer Service. They referred me to Claims who said they're not licensed to provide that information - I'd need to file a claim and the insurance adjuster would review and advise. It reminded me of an old Abbott & Costello routine.

It's definitely not the service I get from State Farm.

Hope you're enjoying the summer!!

I think I ran into that same tree on Friday :-(

danemayer

When DW fell off her bicycle in April, we started incurring quite a bit of medical expense. I remembered that there was medical coverage on the RV policy for accidents around the campsite. So I called the company. They must have asked me 10 times if there was a car involved, or if the RV was moving. My impression was that I was the first person to ever put in a claim against the medical coverage that didn't involve a motor vehicle. Eventually they reached the conclusion that they had sold me coverage for events like this and that it would be covered.

TXTiger

As a lawyer I some times have to sue insurance companies. They always quote me the law which is only their company policy and not the actual law. I have never lost and they always end up paying. They always think that their policy is law.

tjspencer

Wisconsin Chapter Leader
Funny you should ask that question because I had the same question to my insurance agent from State Farm yesterday and she told me I'm covered with no extra incidental costs.

HornedToad

As a lawyer I some times have to sue insurance companies. They always quote me the law which is only their company policy and not the actual law. I have never lost and they always end up paying. They always think that their policy is law.
In the Texas Personal Auto Policy (the ISO form used in most other states has a similar provision) PART D - COVERAGE FOR DAMAGE TO YOUR AUTO Exclusions We will not pay for: 8. When in or upon any trailer, loss to: a. TV antennas; b. awnings or cabanas; Your insurance policy is a legal contract and this provision has been challenged by lawyers and the courts have established legal precedent upholding this exclusion. What most companies will do is offer you optional coverage for contents in the trailer (an endorsement for an additional premium) that will cover the awning.