Anyone work with Raspberry Pi or Arduino boards and Shields?

jbeletti

I have a techy RV application that I need some help on.

I'm looking for a Heartlander or two (volunteers) who:
- Love all things tech
- Works with electronic circuits
- Can breadboard
- Can solder
- Has a power supply
- Can do some coding (web based developer tool - supplied)

If you have experience working with Arduino single board micro-controllers (Uno, Mega, Duemilanove, and Leonardo) and Arduino Shields and want to help me:
- Design
- Prototype
- Program
- Then produce some evaluation pieces

Please contact me (email).

Jim

Note: One person does not need to be able to do all these things. I am the concept person. Another can be the designer/prototype builder and another can be the programmer.

Greengas

Re: Anyone work with Arduino boards and Shields?

Jim. What language are you writing in? I would love to help you out but I don't even know what you are talking about. Must be a super secret code. ;)

4ever

I agree about the supper secret code. Seems like something out of the old Star Treck shows. I am scared of anyone that knows what he is talking about.

jassson007

Founding Louisiana Chapter Leaders-Retired

Jim. What language are you writing in? I would love to help you out but I don't even know what you are talking about. Must be a super secret code. ;)

I understand what he is talking about but can't do any of it unfortunately. C'est la vie!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

MCTalley

Count me in. I can also do all the above. I had started tinkering with some Arduino pieces that I have in the Big Country, but haven't moved forward with anything yet.

jbeletti

Hi guys,

Thanks for the interest and feedback thus far. Below is what I'm ready to share tonight.

SmartThings in an RV

• The project uses SmartThings as its core
  • I will install a SmartThings hub in my RV and connect it to an "always-on" Internet connection (or best efforts)
  • With SmartThings, I will monitor certain things (i.e. temperature, motion, status of entrance door, status of baggage doors, status of lighting etc.)
  • With SmartThings, I will control certain things based on desire and based on triggers
  • With SmartThings, I will receive notifications (email/text/push) of status changes
All the above is available today "out of the box". I have my SmartThings hub and several Things.

At it's very core, the project that I envision is an RV Lighting Control project. That is, the ability to control existing (DC) RV lighting via the SmartThings app (iOS and Android) on mobile devices. This ability would be "additive" and would not replace local manual switch control.

I have a lot of additional details on this project. As the Project Manager, I will share these details with team members once they are selected. It's not a secret project, but it won't be managed on the forum or in a public space.

I don't have any plans to commercialize this. I do plan to share the completed project specifications, designs and code with all who are interested.

I'm doing this for fun and to leverage the tech of it to further my RV lifestyle. Should this project get off-the-ground, I will update this thread from time to time with the progress. Even though most people are not into this sort of thing, many people are interested in following projects. Much the way many of us followed Mike Jarrett when he was building his RV transporters and his model railroad layout etc.

Jim

jassson007

Founding Louisiana Chapter Leaders-Retired
Anyone work with Arduino boards and Shields?

I do something similar in the real world...lol. I am an estimator/sales for an HVAC controls installer. Think Johnson Controls. My company has done a lot of marine applications but have also done some commercial and industrial. We mainly use the BACnet standard and with our control panels we have ability to not only control HVAC but also lighting panels and monitor energy usage. If you can dream it, it can be monitored.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free

mrcomer

Past Ohio Chapter Leaders (Founding)

By profession I am a CAD designer using Unigraphics NX 3D modelling software. I can facilitate in this area if there is a need.

jbeletti

Thank you all who have commented and offered help. As of now, the people below have been selected for the team. As we progress, we may need additional members. We will track self-nominees in this thread and reach out as needed. Thank you again for the comments and offers.

Project: SmartThings in an RV
Team Members:
- Jim Beletti, Project Manager
- Malcom Tally, Lead Engineer
- Dan Mayer, Documentation and Advisor
- Mark Comer, Graphics

A Google Site has been created using a Project Wiki theme. Each member has been invited to join that site. Malcom has created a project for us in SmartThings builder space (link).

So readers/followers of this endeavor know, this is a personal project, not a Heartland RVs project. We fund it ourselves* and work on it in our spare time.

Let the games begin!

*I may seek outside funding in exchange for early access to designs and prototypes

Jim B

richheck

Seasoned Member

Very interesting, I will be following

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

RDsStudio59

Interested as well, all things geeky inspire my interest. Problem is I know enough to get in trouble but sure like to try my best.

jbeletti

Hi guys,

You have woken up an old thread. This project has been discontinued.

Since this time, I have shifted back to the Homeseer Home Automation system, both in my home and in my RV. I have yet to interface it with an Arduino to control DC loads via relays but it's still on my "want to do" list - though I may do so using a Raspberry Pi instead of the Arduino.

Are you guys into HA and dabbling with Aurduinos and Raspberry Pis?

RDsStudio59

Hi guys,

You have woken up an old thread. This project has been discontinued.

Since this time, I have shifted back to the Homeseer Home Automation system, both in my home and in my RV. I have yet to interface it with an Arduino to control DC loads via relays but it's still on my "want to do" list - though I may do so using a Raspberry Pi instead of the Arduino.

Are you guys into HA and dabbling with Aurduinos and Raspberry Pis?
Just bought my first Pi and I'm just getting my toes damp. I will be leaning on a long distance friend as time goes on.

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders

I will be following this thread with interest.

jbeletti

Just bought my first Pi and I'm just getting my toes damp. I will be leaning on a long distance friend as time goes on.
I've updated the thread title to include Raspberry Pi. When you have a plan as to what you want to accomplish with your RPi, please post it here as I'm interested.