fuel additive

Loco

YES I run it all the time when pulling. Have a uncle that has worked for Ford motor company for 28 years and his job is to look into troubles people have with their Ford trucks. He told me that Ford recommends using additives in the power strokes. I use only Diesel Kleen in our trucks. I put one full Quart to a tank when pulling. Truck gets better fuel milage and power with it for sure.

nhunter

My owners manual for a 06 F-350 says no additives are required and that doing so can damage your fuel system. Just says to run clean diesel of proper grade.

Oldlthrneck

Just an Old Jarhead
I have just started running "Marvel Mystery Oil" in mine. Not sure yet whether it makes a difference or not. But everything I am reading says that some sort of additive is a good idea, especially with older diesels that were designed to run on higher sulfer fuel.
Fred

bowtorc

I think that I am going to try the Diesel Kleen. It seems to be readily available everywhere and I have an 03 which was not designed for low sulphur. Thanks for the input

BluegrassMan

Guy's:
I have used Stanadyne in my 08' since the first tank emptied. It is the #1 fuel additive in the nation. It is produced by an INJECTOR Company, they should know what works if anyone would. The difference between the regular and the JR. is that the JR has NO cold weather properties etc. that's why it is cheaper to buy.

I just went to my local Diesel Garage and ordered a case(6) of the 1/2 GAL. of Stanadyne. It will be $18 a jug X 6 jugs, plus tax. ($108+6%) One 64 oz. jug does 250 gal. That's the cheapest I've found yet. You can find it cheap on Ebay, but the shipping kills you. Besides I like to support local businesses.
Just my feelings concerning additives, my Bro in law uses Lucas additive, but that is a lubricant not a fuel suppliment.

dgarwood

Ford Shop Recommendation

I just had my 2005 F-250 in the shop for repairs. The technician said that whoever owned this before me must have used bio-diesel and really gummed things up. They had to replace both fuel filters, the fuel pump and four injectors. He said to stay away from bio-diesel as it is so dirty, especially if it comes from vegetable oil. He also said to stay away from service stations at the bottom of a hill as the water running down hill gets into the fuel tanks and can cause problems. The new low sulfur fuels do not do as good a job of lubricating and he suggested an additive to improve the "lubricity" of the fuel.

Thought I'd share this experience with everybody.

leftyf

SSG Stumpy-VA Terrorist
I haven't heard of Marvel Mystery Oil being used as a diesel additive. But, I have personally used it for power steering fluid and it worked perfectly. I lived in Fairbanks for 5 years. The power steering fluid would get foamy and eventually cause a hydraulic hose failure.

At the recommendation of a long haul trucker, I drained my PS pump and refilled it with MMO...and for the next 4 years never had a problem. If MMO won't work, I don't think anything can. That stuff has been around since I was a kid (before the extinction of the dinosaurs) and I've seen little that it can't help out.