Back up cams

muskeke

Northern Dancer
Does anyone know if they make some type of back up cams for 5th Wheelers like they do for motorhomes?? Any other suggestions would be appreciated. Just purchased a 31 ft 5th Wheeler and a little concerned about our abilities to back the thing up.

Sharron

Last edited:

BigBlue

BigBlue
Hi Dancer
There are several backup cams available. Google for RV backup cameras or Rear View Cameras and you should get quite a few sites. They aren't different from the cameras that are used in motorhomes. The difference is the cabling between the fiver and the truck.
Jim

Tom of Ypsi

Hi Dancer,
If you are married the cheap way to go is with walkie talkies and talk with your partner while backing up.
If you are not married, the cheaper way, Google for back up cameras. You might also check out RV.net and do a search on there. Very informative sight, not that this one is not. Jeff and Jim are doing a real good job here and only wish we had another moderator that is on this site do the same.

jbeletti

muskeke (Dancer),

I have some experience with backup systems. With my previous trailer (a fold-down travel trailer), I installed a camera on the roof rack of my Jeep Liberty and then one at the bumper area of the trailer. They were both connected to a small color LCD monitor in the cab. Here's a couple of pictures of that system.

For my current trailer, I have a different system but similar concept. One camera is mounted high on the rear cap of the 5th wheel and the monitor is mounted in the dash area. The monitor is capable of 3 cameras. I have a second camera that I have plans to mount on the truck, just above the cargo lamp/rear brake light above the back window.

As for the practicality of rear cameras, I will tell you that I am really glad I have mine. I would say that I derive the most benefit of using it while under-way. I do have fold-out trailering mirrors on the RAM but having a wide angle view behind the trailer and to a degree, the the sides at the rear is beneficial. Especially when changing lanes.

I find that it is actually less pratical for backing up. It is useful but since the lens is wide angle, your depth of field becomes distorted. Things are closer than they appear in the monitor. Still, you'll know if you're going to run over the utilities/trees/etc. at the campsite but your distance to such items is impaired.

What is nice about the current system is that it has audio too. So if my wife is behind the trailer as I am backing, I can turn up the volume at the monitor and hear her (we also use walkie talkies).

The system I have is the same that they use in the nicer motor homes. It's pricey but it is also a proven platform. I got the old and new systems from Tim at RVCAMS.com Tim has great product at competitive prices and unlike many online stores, you can actually reach him and speak to him (real customer service!).

I also bought my (yet to be fully installed) tire pressure monitoring system from Tim.

As far as installing the camera on your trailer, depending on your skill level, installtion could be a bit challenging, yet worth it in the end.

On RV.NET, Washboy wrote a good article on how he installed his (pictures). He basically pulled off the center rear clearance light on the rear cap, fished a wire over and down to a tail light, then down to the underbelly from the underbelly, forward to the kingpin area. Depending on how your rear cap is constructed (framing members, insulation etc.) as well as how your underbelly system is (open, all enclosed, etc.), this may be fairly easy or fairly challenging.

Once you get the long camera harness from the rear cap to the king pin, you will need another harness to go from inside the cab to the rear of the bed. How you run that and dress it is up to you. Mine is flopped over the side of the bed and into the rear door. I have materials and plans to run it in plastic flexible conduit under the truck and into an electrical box in the bed wall, next to my 7-pin receptacle (winter project).

Best of luck to you and keep us informed as to what you end up doing.

Jim

Last edited:

muskeke

Northern Dancer
Many Thanks

I wish to thank everyone who were so kind as to reply to my question, there was lots of good information given. The best was that it could be done. Now we just have to figure out which is the best way for us. I will keep you informed about what we decided to do and how we went about it and then how successful it was. A little late for our first long trip out, which starts on the 20th, but hopefully we will be better prepared on our next venture.

This is a great site by the way. I find it easy to use and the replies were so quick coming back. It always amazes me, given all of the bad things that happen in the world, that there are still great people out there, willing to share their experiences and give help where needed. I think RVing is going to fit very well with our life style. I am originally from Texas, where my Grandparents and parents kept an open door and a pot of coffee going at all times. Since moving to Canada I have missed that southern hospitality, know it's out there somewhere just couldn't locate it, think I've finally found it with the RV people.

Sharron

Last edited: