RV Insurance - Anyone running Without Insurance.

mystic

Hi,

Just got the final quote for insurance on our Sundance, and it was a LOT more than I expected. (This is Australia, so can't use the firms quoted in other threads.). While trying other firms, we are tossing up the idea of just not insuring at all and taking the risk ourselves. I know its not ideal, but are others doing so..?

Peter

Oldlthrneck

Just an Old Jarhead
We live full time in ours, so if anything happens we are living on the street. lol Not really, but we have way too much invested not to have insurance.
Fred & Elizabeth

campntn

Insurance is expensive, if you can replace the one you have or don't mind doing without a camper for awhile or wouldn't mind starting over with something like a tent or used popup, then it might be worthy of the risk.
Or, if you are rich and can write a check to replace it, then that's even better!
I know that was one of the first things I did was to make sure my insurance was on it.
But, that's just me. I understand, insurance is costly and money ain't falling outta trees round here.
Good luck in your decision.

jpmorgan37

Mystic;
Something you might try is going with several different policies. Do a basic coverage, lower dollar amount on your first policy and then, with a different company, an umbrella policy to cover amounts above the first policy. It may come out less expensive that way.

John

grizzlygiant

I had both truck and trailer insured by the same company (IGA). I shopped for my renewal policy and found that by insuring the trailer separately I saved over 50% (Progressive).

BluegrassMan

NO insurance ? Can't do that in PA !!! besides I have too much to lose not to have it. Just call me insurance POOR.

caddojay

Tired and Retired member
When we bought the new unit, we saved over 35% by going with Progressive instead of staying with State Farm. Plus, we got the full replacement coverage. State farm didn't offer full replacement.

mystic

Hi,

Further update...

Australia has compulsory third party insurance added to the vehicle registration costs, so this insurance is for the vehicle itself.

The insurance company have no deals to reduce the fees which come to $2070.00 for the first year, reducing a couple of hundred dollars next year if we don't claim.

I've still to try another firm to try to get a better deal, but I really don't expect much joy.

thanks

peter

jpmorgan37

Ahhh, but it's such a beautiful country to RV in. I've been lucky enough to go there twice and loved it.

FLSTS03

We have yet to buy our 5th wheel but while checking rates for our budget, we discovered that our coverage on the tow vehicle also included the trailer. We would only need to purchase coverage while we were detached. Makes me wonder if I would need extra libility coverage if I didn't unhook.Can you say Hmmmm?