Prepping - best method to re- caulk roof edges

MTPockets

Caulk around roof edges have some surface cracking, so I want to re-caulk. What us best procedure to properly prepare? Clean and caulk? Remove old first?

jnbhobe

Caulk around roof edges have some surface cracking, so I want to re-caulk. What us best procedure to properly prepare? Clean and caulk? Remove old first?

I just did mine, scraped the old out, cleaned the rubber roof, used painters tape for a straight line and recaulked it

berky

I have the same surface cracking on one side, the side facing the sun when in storage. Other than the surface cracking, the caulk is in good shape. I've thought about redoing the caulking now, but it seems like the caulk would still have good adhesion to the roof. If that's the case, am I risking damaging the rubber roof by recaulking now? The TT is only 2 years old.

ParkIt

Check the dicor every year, it may look like its sealed but it can develop small leaks you can't see. I think the manufacture recommendations is to have the dicor replaced every year (a bit excessive in my book) though it does need a good check at least once a year.
If you are thinking of re-caulking do it now while its still dry season. Just know the roofing drops down quite a bit into the front and rear cap and down about 6" on the sides so don't hack at it, if you are firm you can get the old dicor off, clean it well using a store bought cleaner if you aren't sure on what to clean it with before putting down a new self leveling layer of dicor.
When going for the side caps cracking the roof will need to be peeled back and the caps re-secured, haven't done it myself but there are a few write ups on it in the roofing section of the forums.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
At the rally, Dicor said it was not necessary to remove the old roof caulk, just make sure it is clean and dry then apply over it.

berky

Thanks for the info guys. The roof at the front and rear caps is Dicor, and right now that stuff's in very good shape. But the roof running along the sides of the TT is caulked with regular caulk, a polyurethane I assume. When the time comes to repair that caulk, do I try to scrape off the old and redo it with polyurethane? Or do I just Dicor over what's there?