Underside Skin of Pin Area Deformed

5erWonk

On my Boghorn the skin on the underside front surrounding the pin box is sagging in the middle and wrinkling along the edges where it joins the side walls. There are now gaps up to 1/2" along the edge seems.

Is anyone experiencing the same thing?

Not sure how this is attached to the frame. It is one piece all the way from attachment to the bottom of the nose cone to the base below the front garage door. Probably wouldn't tale much to replace it but it should not be failing in just five years.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
It sounds like you may have gotten some water in there. I'm guessing that's where the wrinkles came from.
If you remove the plastic shroud from around the pin box you will see where a couple of screws should be holding the skin up. I have had the screws pull through. I added some fender washers and re-attached.
If you remove the plastic insert that is under the edges you will see screws holding along the edge. You will have to remove that trim and re-attach.
If you ruin the plastic insert, you can get replacement at any RV dealer. I have purchased some at Wal Mart.
I had the same thing happen to my 2008 BH, although to a lesser degree.

Peace
Dave

wdk450

Bob:
I had the same issue, but no signs of water intrusion. I attribute my delamination there to the frame flex in the overhang/pinbox area, which I finally had to tow from California to Elkhart to get fixed (free) by Heartland. Both you and Dave have Bighorns in the same manufacturing era as mine, and I would watch closely for this problem. The fix is to upgrade the frame welded joints with triangular pieces of solid metal (gussets); so all of the frames uniformly manufactured in that era are suspect of having the problem. Newer frames have gussets welded in by Lipppert.

5erWonk

Thanks for the comments, in any case the news is not good. I wonder if I get hold of customer service if they can tell me if I have the frame without gussets, I certainly would like to get that repaired if needed.

wdk450

To check for hitch area frame flex, hitch up and retract your landing gear to where they are not bearing weight. Put a visible horizontal mark (that you can photograph) on the side of the pinbox mounting frame just where it enters the fiberglass surround. Extend the landing gear and unhitch. Measure between your previous mark and where the pinbox mounting frame now passes through the fiberglass surround. This is your pinbox frame flex measurement. If you think it is excessive, take a picture of a yellow measuring tape from the surround to the mark, and include it in your e-mail correspondence with the Heartland Service Department.

Good luck!!!

mobilcastle

What would be an out of spec measurement?
To check for hitch area frame flex, hitch up and retract your landing gear to where they are not bearing weight. Put a visible horizontal mark (that you can photograph) on the side of the pinbox mounting frame just where it enters the fiberglass surround. Extend the landing gear and unhitch. Measure between your previous mark and where the pinbox mounting frame now passes through the fiberglass surround. This is your pinbox frame flex measurement. If you think it is excessive, take a picture of a yellow measuring tape from the surround to the mark, and include it in your e-mail correspondence with the Heartland Service Department.

Good luck!!!

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
pe5e9uba.jpg

Also check here. If there is separation of the caulking at the bend when hitched vs not hitched.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Here are couple more things you can look at that are good indicators of frame flex.
Look at the area of the outside wall where your slide frame is. Do you see any cracks or movement at the seam?
Look in the front closet. Do you see any of the trim wood pulled away from the walls?
Look at these spots along with what the other posters mentioned.
Just because the bottom of the nose is deformed is not in itself a good indicator of frame flex.
You live in an area of high prolonged humidity. That could be the problem.
I am pretty sure that your 2008 model does not have the additional gussets.

Peace
Dave

mobilcastle

What model year did they start putting in the extra gussets?
Here are couple more things you can look at that are good indicators of frame flex.
Look at the area of the outside wall where your slide frame is. Do you see any cracks or movement at the seam?
Look in the front closet. Do you see any of the trim wood pulled away from the walls?
Look at these spots along with what the other posters mentioned.
Just because the bottom of the nose is deformed is not in itself a good indicator of frame flex.
You live in an area of high prolonged humidity. That could be the problem.
I am pretty sure that your 2008 model does not have the additional gussets.

Peace
Dave