Fuel Tank Cap.

Driver

Fuel Tank Capacity

I have read it holds 28 gallons, I measured and it comes to about 35 gallons but, I fill the tank when it runs out and only put in 19 gallons.
Has anybody had this problem.

Last edited:

davelinde

I have read it holds 28 gallons, I measured and it comes to about 35 gallons but, I fill the tank when it runs out and only put in 19 gallons.
Has anybody had this problem.

I put 12 gallons in when I got it and the gauge read almost 1/4 tank. I have not been able to do any tests running it empty and filling it.... I wonder if the pickup for the pump and the pickup for the generator are in different places - eg when your pump is "empty" you still have some reserve left for the generator?

rideblue

Filler neck

I've had this problem from day one. Never been able to fill it. Fills VERY slowly. Has to do with the low angle filler neck and vent hose getting fuel in it, not allowing air to escape. Once I put the filler neck side of the rig on blocks at the station, thinking the angle would allow a faster and fuller fill. Got to put a little more fuel in it, was still not full according to gauge. Got to my location and fuel was spilling out of the gas cap. Haven't found a cure yet.

viking4545

When my gauge reads empty, I can put between 16 and 20 gallons in it and then it reads full, but where are my other 8 gallons? The gas does not last long either when running a/c.:( Last time out, ran it for 32 hours and went through over 50 gallons!:mad: My Yamaha ran forever on 3 gallons, should have kept it.

Driver

Update,
I took it in to the dealer and they can up with the same thing with the capacity of the tank. The only thing they found is the top of the tank sets a little higher then the fill neck leaving about 1 - 1 1/2 inchs from the tank topping off. That would be about 4 to 6 gallons more or less. This still does not give the 28 gallons that they say it should have.
So far, "Have no Clue"

davelinde

..the top of the tank sets a little higher then the fill neck leaving about 1 - 1 1/2 inchs from the tank topping off. That would be about 4 to 6 gallons more or less. This still does not give the 28 gallons that they say it should have.

On the way home last week I put another 8 gallons in the tank and now it reads almost 1/2... so that's 12+8 - 5 hours use...

Today I was under the rig and noticed a tag on the tank - it says that the tank is 30 gallons but should not be filled to more than 95% of the capacity. I'm still learning and also a bit stumped on this.

truknutt

Committed Member
Today I was under the rig and noticed a tag on the tank - it says that the tank is 30 gallons but should not be filled to more than 95% of the capacity. I'm still learning and also a bit stumped on this.

Dave,

You've gotta leave room for expansion or lose your precious fuel out the vent. 95% of 30 gal comes to 28.5 gal. Now it's making sense.

Guess I'm one of the lucky ones whose fuel gauge seems to be pretty accurate.

Dave

CYAEnterprises

I have been full timing for 4 months in our 2008 Cyclone 4012, I have some of the same problems. I have never had more than 3/4 on the fuel gauge when I fill up. I know it has to be the neck being to low for proper venting, I use to have an F250 with a flat bed that did the same thing. The only way I have been able to get it half full or better is to park so that the hitch is high and leaning passenger side. Then I pump really slow, the compressor driven pumps don't like it at all. I am glade I never boondock longer than a day or two. Now I know know why the previous owner had a gasoline tank mounted in the back of his diesel pickup.

2008 Cyclone 4012
2001 Dodge Cummings 2500/1 ton
2003 Yamaha Roadstar Silverado
2007 Harley Davidson Edition F150 Power Wheel
Riley's pride and joy

Driver

OK that helps, that comes to 28.5 gallons in that tank which is what the factory said it should hold. But, I still only get 19-20 gallons as of the last time I filled up.
As of now, the dealer lowered my tank and I will have to check to see if this fixed some of problem.

Driver

OK, got the trailer from the dealer and they spaced the tank down about 1 1/2". I filled up and got 26 gallons in :D, that is 6-7 gallons more fuel and the gauge reads a little under full. This helps out alot when all we do is dry camp.

santafedave

Santafedave
Filling the gas tank

I had the same problem with my 04 attitude. What I do is have a five gallon gas tank and I use that to top off the gas tank. Seems to work everytime. D.

porthole

Retired
OK, got the trailer from the dealer and they spaced the tank down about 1 1/2". I filled up and got 26 gallons in :D, that is 6-7 gallons more fuel and the gauge reads a little under full. This helps out alot when all we do is dry camp.

How did they do that? Pictures?