GM hydroVac leak!

ChopperBill

The darn hydro-vac has been leaking on the GMC for quite awhile but I thought it was just the hose. Only 65,0000 miles. I would bet it had been leaking while I was still in warranty. Had to have a new one installed as they don't make a seal kit for it! $800!!!! and they gave me a $175 off! But get this. They just put one on that day on another truck and the service manager just had one put on his pickup. It is a part they keep in stock. Something must be screwy if they are putting that many on of such a rare problematic part. You GM guys might check yours by just putting your had under it and see if there is any oil leaking.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
My previous truck, an 01 2500HD had a leaker at 49,000 miles. I was fortunate in that I bought the truck used and found the leak at the time of closing the deal. Fixed for free.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
snuffy said:
I'm not familiar with it.

Snuffy, I hope I'm correct here. The hydro-vac is the power brake assist unit on the firewall where most vehicles have a vacuum power assist unit. GM 2500HD and up use a unit powered by the power steering pump.