Protection Under Tires

4ever

Does anyone know if it is recommended to have the tires on either wood, rubber or other material when parked for extended periods on concrete. I stay in Florida for almost 5 months and sometimes don't move the rig at all during this time. The tires are on concrete. I have done this the last several years with my previous rig and did not have any problems. At least none that I was aware of. It would seem to me that there should be no problem as long as the tires are on concrete and not soil. Like to know your thoughts.

Thanks,

Ted

Ted,

This is from an article I read about Goodyear's recommendations some time ago.

Storing Tires On the Vehicle
RV tires are mostly stored on the vehicle. For ideal storage, a vehicle should be placed on blocks so there is no weight on the tires. If this cannot be done, follow these tips for best tire protection:

1. Unload the vehicle to reduce weight on the tires to a minimum.
  2. Wash the tires with soap and warm water; dry completely before storing and especially before covering the tires.
  3. Ensure that tires are inflated to the recommended operating pressure. (Goodyear recommends going over by 25% provided this does not exceed the maximum.)
  4. Check pressure every two or three months, and again before the vehicle is returned to service.
  5. If the vehicle cannot be blocked up, store it on a surface that is firm, clean (no oil, grease, or moisture), well-drained and level.
  6. Move the vehicle quarterly (except during very cold weather) to prevent flat-spotting (prolonged strain of sidewall and tread deflection) and ozone checking in the bulge area.
  7. If the vehicle is stored outdoors, use tire covers to reduce UV damage.
Proper storage can add to tire life by helping the rubber resist the effects of UV light, ozone, moisture, exposure to oil and grease, and deformation of the tread and sidewall. An occasional half-hour of care can both add extra traveling distance and reduce the chance of future problems.

I figure that since you are using it during the time it's in "storage" you'll be fine on the cement. Especially since you'll have weight off the tires when you level up.

Wes

Rodbuster

I put up a metal building with a concrete floor to store the RV. Tires on the cement floor for an extended amount of time was a concern to me also.
I asked the opinion of many people, resulting in many different answers.
I thought to myself that it certainly wouldn't hurt the tires if I had a 1/2 inch piece of plywood under each tire. So, I cut 4 pieces of 1/2 inch plywood 12" X 12" and when I'm one foot away from where I want the RV parked, I place one piece of plywood right up against the back of each tire, back up another foot, take a "little extra" weight off the tires (beyond the auto-level) and I'm all set for the duration.

I have no idea if this is accurate or not, but from my inquiries a couple of answers that I got was that lime that is present in concrete draws chemicals out of the rubber in tires.
Again, I feel that the 1/2 inch pieces of plywood can't hurt anything.

Dick

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
With all the different ideas available, I've started using those thin plastic cutting sheets available everywhere. I find them 2 for a buck at flea markets or the dollar stores. Cheap, lightweight and take up very little space.

Rodbuster

Thanks alot Ray....if Fran reads your post I'll have to buy some of those sheets and glue them to my plywood boards.

Dick

MTPockets

Not mentioned here but rotating wheels occasionally (every couple months) is ideal for good bearing care - distributes a film of lubricant and protects bearing raceways.

Grey Ghost

That is a great idea, thanks for sharing!
With all the different ideas available, I've started using those thin plastic cutting sheets available everywhere. I find them 2 for a buck at flea markets or the dollar stores. Cheap, lightweight and take up very little space.

ParkIt

It depends on where the cement is made and poured if you should be concerned or not. Some have more 'salts' added which can leech a tire pretty quickly, as an overall I still put mine on a 6' 2x6 no matter where it gets parked. Might be an old or outdated thing to do but I can't help myself.

And yep! Thanks for the reminder MTPockets though it always ends up getting moved every 3 to 4 months so far, hoping that will change after this winter.

Greengas

Ted,

This is from an article I read about Goodyear's recommendations some time ago.

Storing Tires On the Vehicle
RV tires are mostly stored on the vehicle. For ideal storage, a vehicle should be placed on blocks so there is no weight on the tires. If this cannot be done, follow these tips for best tire protection:

1. Unload the vehicle to reduce weight on the tires to a minimum.
  2. Wash the tires with soap and warm water; dry completely before storing and especially before covering the tires.
  3. Ensure that tires are inflated to the recommended operating pressure. (Goodyear recommends going over by 25% provided this does not exceed the maximum.)
  4. Check pressure every two or three months, and again before the vehicle is returned to service.
  5. If the vehicle cannot be blocked up, store it on a surface that is firm, clean (no oil, grease, or moisture), well-drained and level.
  6. Move the vehicle quarterly (except during very cold weather) to prevent flat-spotting (prolonged strain of sidewall and tread deflection) and ozone checking in the bulge area.
  7. If the vehicle is stored outdoors, use tire covers to reduce UV damage.
Proper storage can add to tire life by helping the rubber resist the effects of UV light, ozone, moisture, exposure to oil and grease, and deformation of the tread and sidewall. An occasional half-hour of care can both add extra traveling distance and reduce the chance of future problems.

I figure that since you are using it during the time it's in "storage" you'll be fine on the cement. Especially since you'll have weight off the tires when you level up.

Wes

goodyear says its best to take the weight off the tires. I will have my coach in the same spot from approx oct they mar. Surface is gravel dirt mix. Any thoughts on using the leveler s to raise the coach off the ground, then put in some jack stands to take the weight. I figure a combination of the jack stands and leveler s should work fine.

I look forward to comments and opinions including what capacity jack stands and where to place them.