Finding BC Sofa is Not Working Out - Trying to Figure Alternative

Theresau

The BC rear sofa is just not working out. We're not real familiar with sofa beds but it appears that the mechanism is poorly designed (and the mattress is just a 3" piece of foam with a grey cover). We haven't taken the coach for an extended trip yet but we're finding now that when you sit on it your legs hit the wooden frame at the front of the sofa. The mechanism which contains the mattress is what provides support for the cushions. This sinking is getting worse over time even though we aren't really using the coach much at this time...

I've contacted Heartland and they've asked for info regarding who the manufacturer is... However, the problem is that the BC 3251 TS's space for the sofa in the rear is shallow - only 32.5" deep. This greatly limits correcting this problem - I don't know if we can even replace the mechanism and I'm also not finding any replacement sofas that will fit in that space.

When we ordered the BC, we ordered the BH sofa with the air mattress as we were very happy with this arrangement in our 2010 BH. However, when HL engineering got the order, they indicated that the BC is too shallow for the BH sofa (we went forward but never imagined that the quality of the sofa would be this poor...our BH's sofa was still working well and it was close to 4 years old when we sold it).

We definitely use the sofa to sit on (this is one of the reasons we selected this BC model as it has a wider sofa) and we also use the sofa as a sofa bed.

Is anyone else having issues with the BC rear sofa? Is ours a one-off? It did not sink like this at the start...but again, we have rarely used it to sit on to date.

jimtoo

You say you have contacted Heartland and they ask for information regarding the manufacturer. I'm sure Heartland is asking for the info so they can help you. But it appears you have not supplied the required info. You can turn the couch over or look on the back side to find a tag with the info I''m sure. Give them a chance to help.

Jim M

Theresau

I plan to do that - I don't think there will be a problem with customer service at all as they have always been responsive - but my guess is the options are very limited.... And, I am looking to see if anyone else is having the same issue.

You say you have contacted Heartland and they ask for information regarding the manufacturer. I'm sure Heartland is asking for the info so they can help you. But it appears you have not supplied the required info. You can turn the couch over or look on the back side to find a tag with the info I''m sure. Give them a chance to help.

Jim M

mobilcastle

We wanted our chairs across from the TV and the rear of the coach was a small area in depth for a couch. My DW found a small lightweight couch she ordered from Walmart that fits the space. We kept the blowup from the original couch-good luck

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
We wanted our chairs across from the TV and the rear of the coach was a small area in depth for a couch. My DW found a small lightweight couch she ordered from Walmart that fits the space. We kept the blowup from the original couch-good luck

Can you tell us what couch or post a pic? We've been eyeing one from WalMart, looks like it might work??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Theresau

There is no tag anywhere. Heartland found the sofa based on the pics and description and are reaching out to the manufacturer. We took the sofa apart and it's our determination that the issue is that the cushions are very low density and the mattress is as well and it's too shallow. We can add bedding to beef up the mattress (or a topper) when we close it up but the cushions need better foam. Joe is pretty thin and he sinks the cushions right down. The fabric around them is loose as well.

We inspected the mechanism and it's ok...since the sofa is so shallow, it rises up behind the the sofa top - that's why the mattress doesn't lay flat when you open it up - it conforms to this.

Jim M

TravelTiger

This is it. It is not fancy but it does the job. We do not have to move anything to get ready to roll. I mounted our swivel rocker recliners to the slide floor.http://www.walmart.com/ip/Small-Spaces-Track-Couch-Renu-Leather-Brown/13443395#ProductDetail

Looks nice! Too bad it's not available any longer. This is another one I've seen:

zequ6ene.jpg

Last edited:

TravelTiger

Theresau,

I don't know how it sits. Since the display is up high, I can't try it out. It's not expensive, which means it's probably not that comfortable. Some assembly required, but looks like it's fairly easy.

The fabric is OK, not great. Looks like the woven fabric on outdoor furniture, even though it's not that. I think you could find a slip cover that would make it look nicer. Looks like it would compliment our decor in the ElkRidge (light cherry).

Erika

Theresau

Erika,

Problem is we need the sofa bed - this is used pretty regularly. Thanks for the photo. I'm going to pass it on to a nephew who is planning to get married soon. (Other thing we have to watch out for is the sofa can't be more than 32" deep or the slides can't come in......)

Theresau,

I don't know how it sits. Since the display is up high, I can't try it out. It's not expensive, which means it's probably not that comfortable. Some assembly required, but looks like it's fairly easy.

The fabric is OK, not great. Looks like the woven fabric on outdoor furniture, even though it's not that. I think you could find a slip cover that would make it look nicer. Looks like it would compliment our decor in the ElkRidge (light cherry).

Erika

TravelTiger

Exactly, we need less than 30". This sofa is 29" deep.

Sorry, not a sleeper sofa.

kkamshop

Here is a link to the company that makes the walmart sofa, they have several in the 33" depth - maybe Heartland should find out if they could/would supply an RV sofa or sofabed model.

http://www.handyliving.com/ Click on the Angelo:home tab for the most styles

Theresau

Received new sofa cushions today. They are just great. Much more dense foam and actually better sewn together. Very pleased. Again want to thank HL Customer Service and the manufacturer who called me direct last week and had them made the next day (custom). Happy with sofa now.

Heartland contacted the supplier and they are sending new cushions with denser foam.

Theresa

Last edited:

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
Ok I'm jumping into this conversation a little late but Erika, where did you find the beige sofa? We too have less than 31" to put a sofa across the back wall and that one looks like it will work.
B---