Landing gear switch broken help pls FIXED!

Porkchop

Martin just used the switch. It just broke. It's flappy and won't do a thing. We are going to take off the cover and try to figure how to retract it. Any ideas? Thanks! Irene

cyclone 3010

Porkchop

Re: Landing gear switch broken help ASAP pls

We don't know how to manually retract the landing gear without the switch.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member

I would wager that you could remove the plug connector from the back of it and use a piece of wire to jump the plug to operate the jacks. If you use an ohmmeter, you should be able to determine the + and - voltages.

Porkchop

We have been trying that and the gearing makes noises but its not moving. We tired. Red to blue wire. Red to yellow wire. Etc. now I'm thinking it might be the hydraulic system but the slide outs are working. Is it two different hydraulic systems?

wehavefun

How many wires do you have to the switch?

I think you will have a six wire switch, usally that will be power that has a jumper wire on it and then you will have a wire to open the correct valve up / down and you will also have wires that run the motor.

It will take three wires to make the legs extend or retract.

Good luck

Porkchop

Thank you! Yes it's a 6 wire system. It has 6 plugs at least. We called a local dealer and they said they have a switch in stock. We were able to unhook and are driving there before it closes in hopes that swapping out the switch will work. We were calling for roadside assistance but it would take 3 hours for them to get here and we have to worry about our 2 year old. I will update if it works. Thank you for the help!

ParkIt

Hope you catch this in time or have extra fuses on hand, they usually blow when the switch goes bad too.
Good luck getting it replaced though it may look different than the factory one but it will get the legs up so you can head out.

Porkchop

The new switch worked!!!

Thank you for all the help! I don't think we were hitting allThree wires and that's why I wasn't working. We got a new switch and once we swapped it out, the landing gear worked. Looking back, we could have pulled the rear jack switch and used that instead of finagling for 2 hours. I really appreciate it!

Garypowell

In the future I believe it is the same design switch that operates the rear electric jacks. You can swap them in this kind of emergency.

ParkIt

In the future I believe it is the same design switch that operates the rear electric jacks. You can swap them in this kind of emergency.
Who is with me on the "Ooops, forgot to mention that one" group? I'm here, come join me.

Sorry it didn't get mentioned earlier but I tend to think in terms of permanent fixes, totally forgot you could have swapped the rear to operate the front :(

jimtoo

Hi carnace1,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and to the family. We have a great bunch of folks here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge when needed.

I thought all the units used a circuit breaker, not a fuse for the jacks. I would install a circuit breaker. Are you over extending the legs by chance? Hopefully some of our other Gateway owners will jump in soon.

Enjoy the forum.

Jim M

Porkchop

I've read that the fuse tends to go (while I was trying to research why mine was broken). Luckily the fuse was fine (and we purchased a huge box of fuses a few months ago).

We actually got two switches now. The OEM one, and another rear jack switch. That one was what we used temporarily until we can wire it up.

Oh the joys of owning an RV... ;)

wkcox

The OEM switch is cheaply made. Mine broke on my Road Warrior after only a few months. It never happens at a good time. I replaced the DPDT switch with a better marine grade one, and I always carry a spare now. It seems that we have to carry spares of many things!

porthole

Retired
For that try to jump the switch to get hydraulics to move - you need to jump more then one connection.

12 volts positive and negative to get eh pump running, and while the pump is running you need to jumpt the solenoid for the rams you wish to move, eg either landing gear or slide rooms.

That DPDT switch (double pole double throw) is doing that for you. In one direction it is operating the pump and the solenoid, in the opposite direction the switch is still operating the solenoid and pump, but reversing the pump direction.

Easiest way to jump it with a broken switch - is with another switch.

Last edited by a moderator: