RV to RV Moving - OMG

DesertThumper

Hi Everyone,

What an exciting moment to get a new RV but at the same time, moving all of your items, kitchen stuff, bedroom, tools etc to your new 5ver is like moving your small apartment. But were having fun with the process. We had to bring our pekineses with us for the new RV smell experience.

Took us about 4 hours to unload and load to the new one. Are we the only one's that have to much or to less in our trailer... Just wondering about your experience.

Anyone?

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
We fulltime so we had to move solar panels, satellite dish, etc. In addition to everything in the rig...and we had less about than 8 hours cause the dealer would not let us stay on the lot....thought I was gonna die...LOL!

The one smart thing we did was send the "girls", I.e. dogs for spa day...sure glad they weren't under foot!!

jbeletti

It always takes me forever too. Usually, I am not moving out and in, in the same day. Usually weeks or months in-between. So for me, I pack and load-out moving boxes into storage. Then move back in. It's really like moving out of a 1 bedroom apartment with a full storage locker. For me at least :)

Just got half my stuff "moved in" (not settled in) and will work on the other half over the next couple days. Then getting settled in, that's a whole other story :) Then, let the mods begin! I will be adding shelving in the pantry closet of the kitchen and some half-depth shelves in the upper half of the floor to ceiling cabinet between the living room TV and the kitchen counter. Up top there are two HUGE spaces. Nice on the huge, not so nice on needing to make it a bit more usable. But persevere I will!

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Since we're no longer full timers we don't have to do all that but even as "snow birds" we move a considerable amount of stuff from the house to the rig in the fall and back into the house again in the spring. We have a list and still things get forgotten. :eek:

danemayer

We get a taste of moving in twice a year when we change over from winter camping to summer camping, and vice versa.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
When we took our coach from Texas to Elkhart for repair, they wanted the coach empty of personal items (for liability, I'm sure). We took everything out, then repacked the bare essentials for us to stay in it on our way. Once in Elkhart, we made three trips fully loaded with a luggage cart to the hotel to remove all of that. (Bedding, toiletries, clothes, hoses, electrical cords, tools, etc). 5 days later, move back in the coach and head home. Then, back home had 1 week to reload everything else for a trip to a HL rally. Good news was we thinned the stuff we never used, and found better places for items we do. But yes, it reminded me of moving in and out of my dorm in College.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

priorguy

I do it every fall while winterizing. Everything get removed to avoid damage from critters or the elements. Seems there's more and more each year. Everything goes into plastic totes and onto a shelf around the top of the garage. Out of the way but accessible by ladder is necessary. The portable cottage sure does hold a lot of stuff. We bought a bigger rig this spring and it was easy to trade the old one as it was empty and only had to fill up the new one. Arranged delivery for the May longlong weekend. Traditional opening of the Canadian camping season.

Rottiesmom

New York Chapter Leader - retired
When we transferred our belongs this year from the bighorn to the landmark it took us 4-6 hours and you don't realize how much junk you can store in these things too. We through out a lot of stuff we didn't need anymore. Now I have cabinets that are waiting to be filled but fortunately I don't need anything new just yet. Good luck with your adventures and your new rig.

Garypowell

I think the worst is the down three steps walk two steps then up three steps.

When we did this last October our salesman said he recently had a couple who brought some 2by 10'a and built a walkway between the two rigs.

StephenKatSea

We moved out of our 30' TT and into our BH3670. Dealer delivered the BH and picked up the 30'TT (trade in) at our site on the lake. That required us to strip the 30 footer of all our belongings, stack them at our site, and be ready to load it all back into the new BH when it arrived. All went pretty well. But, keeping the wild desert burros out of our stuff was not much easier than keeping the "snow birds" out of it also. The snow birds just assumed it was a yard sale and began rummaging through all of our things laid out on the ground. Anyway, we got it done and continue to really enjoy our BH.

Last edited:

TXTiger

I am not yet full time but when I do go on the road it is often for months at a time. I got tired of loading and unloading before and after every trip so I bought a second coffee pot, set of silverware, dishes, cups, towels, pillows, toolbox, etc and keep them permentaly in the rig. Now all I have to load and unload is a suitcase full of clothes.

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
Thats what we did when we were still camping. It made it much easier to get ready to go somewhere, and then when we went full time, we just picked out the best pieces to keep and the rest went away.

DesertThumper

Amazing stories and thanks for sharing. Now I don't feel so out alone. Glad most of it is done and its staying in there. Lol. Yes the plastic bins in all sizes work great. We bought more of it too. We also bought a second set of duplicates just for the trailer so we don't have to unload and load any longer. Thank god.... we will also be doing some minor upgrading inside the trailer soon. I notice some of you transfer your items during the trade. What we did was spot the one we like, do the paper works and go home to unload in the garage. Bring the trade in the next day for trade in. No matter how you do it, still a bunch of work.

Birchwood

We have been full timing for four years and we rotate our things.We still have storage with all our household items so we just go there and start swaping things.Its like buying new things because we haven't seem them for a while.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
We do the same i.e. have two of most everything since we still have a sticks and bricks home. Sometimes we get laughed at when we go to the store and buy two of things but it keeps us from having to load and unload. We even have two sets of clothes.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
When we bought our new trailer last year, we unloaded everything out of the old one into the garage.

What a load of kRap we had in it!

Amazing how much stuff we had in there that we rarely, if ever, used!

Like that complete set of cast iron dutch ovens, two camp stoves, two tents (for when we had friends with kids that would come along), a massive collection of flashlights, that big Coleman camp grill that was probably one of the biggest wastes of money I've ever spent . . . the list goes on and on!

Oh . . . and those big standard tube TV's that weighed a ton!

We always left stuff in the trailer so that we 'thought' that we were always ready to roll.

Yet we used to spend so much time loading and unloading even more stuff every time we went camping and when we got home from the trip!

Yikes!

Very little of that stuff made it back into our new Trail Runner.

We bought a few new things to replace some old stuff that we didn't want to carry over to the new trailer, and now we do leave everything but clothes, pillows, food and beer! :rolleyes:

Oh . . . and whatever movies we decide to take along.

Now I spend more time hitching it up than we do loading stuff.

Next . . . got to clean out the garage!

donr827

When we bought our BH the dealer parked the new trailer next to the old trailer. Used the transferring job to weed out items that I never used. A lot of items were thrown away. I keep almost everything in plastic containers.
Don

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
While in the process of getting ready for a new RV we unloaded the Landmark. Now our house looks like a hoarders house LOL Didn't realize we had so much 'stuff' in it. We reloading we will 'cull' the stuff and lighten the load alot.

dhcolesj

We culled out quit a bit from the old Trailer, just about filled up the bed of the truck with the stuff we kept. :D Going to pick up the new 32BUDS tomorrow.