Patio awning support arms

remoandiris

2 days ago I used the patio awning support arms for the first time. I don't think I'll use them again. They do not attach to the coach very well and I really don't see a benefit from them if the awning is retracted when no one is using the patio. I don't recall seeing them used at dealer displays either. I might remove them so there is less weight at the far end of the awning.

ILH

I'd be curious to see what they look like. If you put them up again, please post pictures.

remoandiris

Once I get somewhere with good wi-fi, I'll load some pics.

Attachments

• SDC17240.JPG
    SDC17240.JPG
    434.8 KB · Views: 202
  • SDC17241.JPG
    SDC17241.JPG
    460.3 KB · Views: 215

iowaone

Mine lock into place quite easily. I sure don't think that awning could take even a small gust of wind without the support. If you make it even lighter by taking them completely off the awning will flip over the top with an even lighter gust.

oscar

OK, I'm a little dense sometimes.....exactly WHAT are we talking about here? Yes, I noticed the clips on the patio awning, but haven't quite figured it out yet....

scottyb

Oscar, they are not obvious, but there are support arms on the rear awning. They require about 3 steps on each side to extend and lock into place.

They are a major PITA but they really strengthen the awning if you intend to use it in anything above calm.

oscar

Can anyone post a picture? The ones posted above don't really show me anything. I'm trying to understand where these arms are and where they go..... All I see on mine are the two folding arms. I do see the orange clips, but they don't seem to cooperate with me trying to figure it out....

remoandiris

Unfortunately the first attempt at uploading didn't work. Here is round 2. The first pic is what you see in the center of the patio awning. Photo two is the right side. You have to lift the end a little and slide it out. Photo 3 shows the arm swing down on it's pivot. Photo 4 is the lock/unlock lever for the arm extansion. Pull down the lever and the arm extends. There is also a button toward the end of the arm that you can push and extend the thinner part of the arm. Photo 7 shows the mounting point on the coach. Photo 8 is inserting the flip tab into the bottom of the mount. Photo 9 is the locking pin in position. I used a screwdriver to force it in. Had to use a screwdriver to get the locking pin out, too. Photos 10 and 11 are the end result.

I have the electric awning. Unless it is VERY windy, I see no need to use these support arms. The 2 arms that move the awning out with the push of a button offer more than enough support. If in windy conditions, I wouldn't want an awning out anyway.

Hope this helps.

Attachments

• SDC17240.JPG
    SDC17240.JPG
    434.8 KB · Views: 146
  • SDC17241.JPG
    SDC17241.JPG
    460.3 KB · Views: 129
  • SDC17242.JPG
    SDC17242.JPG
    471.3 KB · Views: 129
  • SDC17245.JPG
    SDC17245.JPG
    475 KB · Views: 119
  • SDC17246.JPG
    SDC17246.JPG
    439.9 KB · Views: 114
  • SDC17243.JPG
    SDC17243.JPG
    421.4 KB · Views: 112
  • SDC17247.JPG
    SDC17247.JPG
    449.5 KB · Views: 132
  • SDC17248.JPG
    SDC17248.JPG
    473.6 KB · Views: 130
  • SDC17249.JPG
    SDC17249.JPG
    468.3 KB · Views: 128
  • SDC17244.JPG
    SDC17244.JPG
    420.5 KB · Views: 126
  • SDC17250.JPG
    SDC17250.JPG
    428.2 KB · Views: 137

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
From my perspective, if I had that extra support available, I'd use it even if for nothing more than peace of mind. In the end, it's your awning and decision but one day, you never know...

oscar

Aaaaaaahhhhhhhh Now I see where this is going......(and what those little brackets are for on the back wall) let me try this again.....

THANKS!

scottyb

There are instructions in the O&M's that came in the pouch. It's not really obvious in how to use them.

iowaone

Good instructions and pictures. I have not had deficulity with the latches. I use the supports. Never can predict the winds here.

oscar

There are instructions in the O&M's that came in the pouch. It's not really obvious in how to use them.

Ah when all else fails read the instructions? Don't recall seeing anything on the subject but will revisit.