TowMax STR 235/80R16 load range E 10 ply radial

Hello,

We are relatively new to the RV scene, and brand new to the forum, but not new enough not to be aprehensive of the tire date codes. The four tires on our 2012 Greystone 29MK range as follows 4710 (2 ea left side), 4810, and 4910 (right side). We have traveled about 3500 miles over several trips and have had one flat (fortunately at the RV park). We have had no other incident with the tires except for minor uneven wear on the outside of the right front tire.

After reading the forum, we are very concerned about a future 4500 mile round trip we plan to take this fall suspecting one or all tires may not hold out. By the end of our trip we expect to be within 90 to 95% of acceptable weight.

To ease our apprehension we plan to install new tires before we hit the road, but here is the $60K question. What brand does the forum recommend? I am sure the responses will consider realiblity, performance, and economy.

Thanks in advance.

Floyd and Mary

Last edited:

danemayer

Hi jumpinjackflash,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum. There's lots of useful information here along with a great bunch of friendly and helpful people.

Maybe someday a tire manufacturer will come out with a new tire for RVs and call it "NOBLOW" and sell a gazillion of them. Until then, you'll probably get a number of recommendations on what to buy.

The one thing I'd recommend is that you not just go by the Load Range 'E' rating. Load capacity may vary within any given load range. Check the load capacity of the new tires to make sure you're not getting less carrying capacity than you have now. It should be stamped on the sidewall.

Grey Ghost

I have a 2011 Greystone 29mk and we just love it, I'm sure you will enjoy your 5ver a lot. What brand of tire do you presently have on your unit? Mine came with Power King Tow Max tires and they are on there way back to the manufacture as we speak. Blew one out and the other three were separating according to the boys at Discount Tire. I put on a set of Michelin 235/85/R16 M/S 2's, hopefully not more problems. You will get a number of responses to this issue I'm sure, just ready about them and do some of your own research. The battle between ST and LT tires will continue for years to come you just have to find something that you are comfortable with and that you feel safe with. Enjoy your rig, have lots of fun and be safe out there!

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
There is unfortunately not a tire that can be "installed and forget it". We were happy with the performance of our Maxxis 8008 tires, but recently discovered a tread separation after 2 years and 25K miles. We decided we trusted the Maxxis again over the other unknowns: unsure of the LT tire reliability on a trailer, and other ST brands plagued with unhappy customers.

Whatever new tires you decide, you will have to really watch them, check the pressures and drive within the speed ratings.

Thanks for the response TravelTiger,

Date codes on the PowerKing Towmax indicate the tires were manufactured in 2010. We have about 3500 miles on these tires and they look really good, but looks can be pretty decieving. During our planned extended trip we will keep a pretty close eye on things and evaluate at each stop but I am budgeting for a new set of tires along the way.

Igubbels,

Thanks for the response. We love our 2012 Greystone 29 MK. Sadly it only sleeps two :eek: or that's what we tell family and friends. This our first RV and there is a lot to learn. We will keep a close eye for any unusual signs. In any event, for peace of mind, we plan to purchase new tires either prior to our intended departure or somewhere along the way.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Put your hands on the tires each time you stop, not just a casual look as you walk by. You really need to check inside sides as well as outside, and the tread.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Ric_Flair

The only "check" you can perform that will help you is to check your calendar for the earliest possible date that you can get your trailer into a tire shop and get rid of those crappy tires. Seriously.