Ducting out of the furnace

khd995

I was looking at my furnace this morning and noticed that there is three ducting hoses out of it. One goes (4")to the vent in the bedroom, one goes (4") to the vent in the bathroom, one goes (2") goes to the space under the bedroom for heating the underbelly.

I have a couple of questions.

1. There is a 4th hole in the furnace that is covered over. Shouldn't there be a 4" hose coming off of that. Maybe going to the ducting for the rear of the trailer.
2. I have always had very little air flow out of the ducts in the rear of the coach. I guess I now know why. Except, how is any heat going to them at all, since it appears that all the hoses are going to either the bedroom, bathroom, or the underbelly. It has never been a big problem since I use ceramic heaters for my main heating.
3. The 2" hose just goes to the area under the bedroom. How does this heat the under belly. Shouldn't it actually go to the underbelly if I want it to heat the under belly.

What am I missing.

The furnace has ductwork under it that is built into your main floor. If you look in your main floor registers you will see it.

jbeletti

The furnace is ducted out the bottom into the floor air duct. That duct runs down the center of the coach under the floor to near the back cap. It feeds air to the floor registers.

The round hoses off the sides of the furnace are for running flex duct to wherever heat is also needed but can't be served by the bottom heat output.

The hose that drops into the underbelly really does put heat down there when the furnace is running. Someone on the forum has put remote temperature sensors in his underbelly and has reported good results with the heat down there. He did also extend the underbelly heat run with a PVC pipe with holes drilled in it.

Jim

khd995

Thanks for the info on the ducting under the furnace. I checked the ducts with a mirror and a flashlight. It is clear from one end to the other. Any reason that the airflow is so poor thru the ducting and is gale force in the bedroom.

Does this ducting also heat the underbelly.

Because that little 2" hose is just loose under the bedroom. It doesn't go into the underbelly.

katkens

Founding Illinios Chapter Leader-retired
khd995 said:
Thanks for the info on the ducting under the furnace. I checked the ducts with a mirror and a flashlight. It is clear from one end to the other. Any reason that the airflow is so poor thru the ducting and is gale force in the bedroom.

Does this ducting also heat the underbelly.

Because that little 2" hose is just loose under the bedroom. It doesn't go into the underbelly.

The DW was complaining of to much heat in bedroom at night for sleeping. I changed the register to one that can be closed, its much better now....Ken

jpmorgan37

khd995;

My furnace was not tight to the floor which allowed a lot of heat to escape around the base of the furnace. There are two L brackes at the rear of the furnace. I screwed it to the floor and used Quik Stuff foam insulation around the base of the furnace. It improved the flow quite a bit. Ken's idea of the regulating registers will also help a lot. Since you have verified that the ducting is open, the rest should be a quick fix.

Hope this helps

John

jbeletti

Like John's - my furnace was also not tight to the floor. I found it out as it seemed to be louder than what I felt was normal when running. Heartland re-secured it. Never had any flow issues with mine and it did quiet it down a bit. Look on both sides and the back of the furnace to make sure there are no large open gaps in the flooring. One user found the hole in his floor to be offset from the furnace quite a bit. Hope that is not happening anymore.

You may have to take your unit to your dealer or a service center to have the furnace removed and inspected. Always a chance that there is something blocking the air flow from the bottom discharge into the floor ducting.

Jim

khd995

Thanks for the info on the possible leaks around the furnace I will check.

What about the 2" hose. It is just loose under the bedroom. Is it supposed to be this way (heating that space). What about the underbelly where the tanks are. How does the heat actually get to the tanks for heating.

If t

jpmorgan37

khd995;

Yes, it is supposed to be loose. As Jim mentioned, some of our members have modified their units by adding a longer piece of pvc pipe with holes drilled in it to more evenly distribute the heat. At this point in time, I haven't felt the need to do any modifications as, I believe, the present amount of warm air going into the basement area is sufficient.

John