Shore power to inverter?

TravisJen

Due to some bad weather this weekend, I'm looking to throw a TV in the bedroom to keep us entertained but I don't want to rum the gen constantly. Also, we hardly ever have a use for A/C power so I don't want to go through the hassle of permanently wiring in an inverter on such short notice. I'm wondering if I can just plug my shore power into my inverter if I turn off the breaker for the converter. It's 30A service BTW. The fridge and water heater will both be running on propane so the only thing being plugged in will be the TV and laptop.

TravisJen

That would involve spending another $200-$300 which seems pointless since we already have a TV for the unit. Maybe I'll just run the gen and let the neighbors suffer. Or, a more likely circumstance, is that I'll plug it in and see what happens lol. Thanks for the idea though.

TravisJen

2000 watt. I may just end up running the cord. Any ideas on the best way to get in from the battery compartment to the bedroom?

evolvingpowercat

Yes, you could plug your shore cable into a 120 Volt plug on your inverter, with a 30 Amp Adapter. You are correct that you need to make sure you switch off your converter breaker.

Don't know if your gen has a separate starting battery but be sure to leave enough juice in the batteries to be able to start your gen so you can recharge enough to close your slides if you run your battery down too far you may have a problem. Also don't forget to flip your converter breaker back on when you tear down the inverter to shore power connection or run your gen or you will be not charging your batteries. Suggest a "don't forget" post it note.

TravisJen

Thanks for the confirmation Randy. I've already installed a starting battery with an isolator on the gen and the inverter has a low voltage shut-off also. We'll give it a shot and see what happens. Here's to hoping for no smoke lol

TXTiger

Why not just run a household extension cord from the pedestal to the television? Most pedistals have a standard outlet on them as well as the 50/30 Amp connection.