Basement modification 3010RE

Garypowell

I am always looking for a little more room. I decide to remove most of the chip board wall that defines the basement build a framework and install a coroplast wall.

I left the original wall (chip board) directly to the left of the door side opening which has the speaker switches and such but cut just to the left of the vacuum cleaner opening and removed the chip board from there on to the UDC. After inspecting behind this remaining wall I realized there was no reason I could not slide it back towards the steps.

I set up 2 by 4’s along the path. I had purchased an “L” shaped piece of trim wood to install where needed. Sometimes the 2 by 4 provided a nature “turning point” or corner. I purchased the coroplast from Home Depot in 3’ by 6’ sheets for about $14.00 each. (Since then I found out for the same price I could have bought 4’ by 8’ sheets from a local sign printer.) I wanted black....but now that it is finished I like the white....to me it gives a more open appearance.

Before putting up the coroplast I moved the vacuum cleaner back to the step supports. There is plenty of room to remove it if needed and simply open up the wall to change the bag. I also put the converter up on a board and covered it with a coroplast bonnet….just in case of any leaks. I only had to shorten one plumbing run….the one I installed to use with the dishwasher.

The coroplast was cut to fit and is held in place with Velcro. My rough estimate is that I gained about 4 sq. ft. by simply moving back and squaring off the wall, which was one of my goals. Another was to make it easier to get back into the behind the wall area…which I find myself going into more than I ever thought I would. I had hoped to save a little weight also, but my guess that goal was lost when I decided to use 2 by 4’s. I am most pleased with the removable part of the wall right beside the UDC. This will make it much easier to inspect for leaks.

It still remains to be seen if the coroplast will hold up. I have lots left for quick replacement if needed. I am not really concerned about objects moving towards the rear due to my acceleration.

I have also included a picture where I used some extra coroplast to section off my under the bed storage. I cut the pieces to size and then slit them ½ way through to fit together. I think this will help keep things better organized.

Set Back.JPGFull Wall View.JPGUnder Bed storage mod.JPG

Garypowell

Ray. We have a family coming today for the second time to look at the house...so we are starting to feel a little excitement. I think I still have on my list:

1. Expand the pantry shelvin like Happykrout (?) did.
2. I have ordered new (longer) drawers for Linda's side of the closet. The current drawers are like 12" but the new ones are 22" and will simply extend farther into the front cap area.
3. My never fail bushings are showing up Tuesday.....I just bought jack stands yesterday. Too bad about Brian's experience! I am going to write to him and see if he has thought through any reasons.
4. And then a lot of clean up!!!