Heartland Customer Service?????

I keep reading on the forum about the Great service you get from Heartland Customer Service. That has not really been my experience. I recently called when the floor in our BH basement collapsed. I was looking for some kind of assistance and all I got was basically "Good luck."
So, we fixed it without help from Heartland. Then, in trying to make sure we have all the leaks stopped, I find out the DS slam door is leaking like a sieve. This is something we asked to have worked on two years ago at the rally in Goshen. They put silicone on the top of the door. In researching, I find a forum thread that indicates that many, many Heartland owners have had the problem with the design on these slam doors as far back as 2009. Sure would have been nice if the technicians had told us about this in 2011. I guess it is a secret. How about a recall on faulty design. What, it's not a safety issue so no recall. How about an alert to the owners that have these faulty doors so they can get them fixed before major problems occur.
But I digress. After reading that this is a know problem (to Heartland anyway) I called customer service again looking for some help. What I really want is a new door but... wish in one hand.... what I got after a week and a half of emails was - we are almost certain your door was made by Kino. Give them a call at xxx and see if they have a fix or if it will take a whole new door. (Sarcasm on) WOW! What great customer service (sarcasm off). Okay, the unit is out of warranty. I'm not asking Heartland to replace the door. But good customer service would have been for Heartland to call Kino and intercede on my behalf. The design of the door is faulty. I realize that Heartland didn't make the door but they installed it and the RV has the Heartland name on it. This is not good customer service. So, if you're reading this trying to decide if you should purchase a Heartland product or some other brand (SOB) then my recommendation is to go with the SOB.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

danemayer

Hi Paul,

You might want to replace the bubble gaskets on the doors, or perhaps as a few others have done, insert small diameter tubing inside the bubble to help it create a better seal.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Sorry you had the problem. If you recommend buying a SOB....then you better check to see what "slam" doors they use. You will probably find all RV's have the same doors. So...same problem....different builder.

Hi Paul,

You might want to replace the bubble gaskets on the doors, or perhaps as a few others have done, insert small diameter tubing inside the bubble to help it create a better seal.

I have already replaced the seal. The doors are warped so bad that they still won't seal. Even with the new seal I can slide a 3x5card back and forth with no resistance.

Sorry you had the problem. If you recommend buying a SOB....then you better check to see what "slam" doors they use. You will probably find all RV's have the same doors. So...same problem....different builder.

The design of the doors was changed in 2010 / 2011. From what I read the problem has gone away with the new design. My problem is not so much with the faulty doors as the lack of customer support. Heartland would / should have better contacts with their suppliers. Does Kino care if I don't buy another Heartland product? No. Does Heartland care if I don't buy another Heartland product? Apparently not or they would have told me there was a problem back in 2011 when they slopped silicone on the door instead of replacing it then or telling me about the faulty design.

mnkamper

Founding MN Chapter Leader-retired
So sorry that you've had the issue with the door and Customer Service! It looks like we have the same year and model....... and "knock on wood" so far have not had either issue with the slam door or CS. Our slam door was replaced when it was new however as it was not opening a closing properly!
We know that there some different slam doors used around then though and we'd like to see if your door and ours might be similar!
Would it be possible for you to put a picture of the door on here so we could compare?
Thanks!

jmaguire

I am having delaminating issues with my 2010 Elk Ridge. Heartland said it's because I didn't properly caulk the windows every few months to prevent the water damage. I contacted the window manufacturer and they told me they did not recommend caulking the windows as they had a rubber gasket that would seal the window if properly installed. Heartland told me it was my fault and good luck getting it fixed. I guess you live and you learn. It was my first Heartland and it will be my last.

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
I am having delaminating issues with my 2010 Elk Ridge. Heartland said it's because I didn't properly caulk the windows every few months to prevent the water damage. I contacted the window manufacturer and they told me they did not recommend caulking the windows as they had a rubber gasket that would seal the window if properly installed. Heartland told me it was my fault and good luck getting it fixed. I guess you live and you learn. It was my first Heartland and it will be my last.

Personally, we love our BH and have very few complaints.

I realize movement going down the road is somewhat of a factor, but if you can buy Alex Plus or a similar 30-35 year caulking for your home, why can't the RV industry find a caulking product that doesn't need inspection and touch up, every few months?? Trace

Last edited:
Would it be possible for you to put a picture of the door on here so we could compare?
Thanks!

Here (if it works is a photo of the front hinge showing the delaminating of the door. It rubbed from day one and dealer tried to adjust but there is no adjusting. I should have raised more of a ruckus back then but didn't know that it would get this bad or that it was leaking. I believe the problem I had with the floor really came from a leak at the UDC. Here again, a small change by the manufacturer to extend the opening below the UDC and floor would prevent water from infiltrating into the floor.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1377792239.681480.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1377792239.681480.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 116

Theresau

We had no problems with our 2010 BH's doors but we did read of earlier builds that did. We really liked those doors.

Currently, they are now fiberglass in lieu of aluminum. None of the SOB's we've looked at have the aluminum doors as well. I thought the doors that were faulty were made by Lippert.

Theresa

The design of the doors was changed in 2010 / 2011. From what I read the problem has gone away with the new design. My problem is not so much with the faulty doors as the lack of customer support. Heartland would / should have better contacts with their suppliers. Does Kino care if I don't buy another Heartland product? No. Does Heartland care if I don't buy another Heartland product? Apparently not or they would have told me there was a problem back in 2011 when they slopped silicone on the door instead of replacing it then or telling me about the faulty design.

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
Here (if it works is a photo of the front hinge showing the delaminating of the door. It rubbed from day one and dealer tried to adjust but there is no adjusting. I should have raised more of a ruckus back then but didn't know that it would get this bad or that it was leaking. I believe the problem I had with the floor really came from a leak at the UDC. Here again, a small change by the manufacturer to extend the opening below the UDC and floor would prevent water from infiltrating into the floor.

If it helps...those metal doors were made by Mor Ryde not Kinro (Lippert)...I would call Mor Ryde.

mnkamper

Founding MN Chapter Leader-retired
Thanks for the pic!
It really looks like it's a different door from our 2010 3670rl!
Our doors on both sides open to the side..... as you're facing the door, they open from left to right! We also ended up caulking around the inside of the UDC, if there was any waster in the UDC from filling freshwater tanks to whatever, that would leak under the UDC wall into the basement. Periodic caulking took care of that part anyway!
We thought those door were made by Lippert (and a subsidiary) as well!

kakampers

The metal Mor Ryde Doors didn't last one full model year to my knowledge...they switched to the Kinro doors currently used after many issues with the metal doors.

Theresau

I thought they switched from the Mor/Ryde to Lippert metal doors after the Mor/Ryde doors had issues and that the Lippert doors were the ones that opened up instead of sideways. This is my memory as I investigated these when we purchased the BH in 2009 because I read of the issues with the Mor/Ryde then. Memory could be wrong...

Theresa

The metal Mor Ryde Doors didn't last one full model year to my knowledge...they switched to the Kinro doors currently used after many issues with the metal doors.

kakampers

Don't think Lippert ever made metal doors...could be wrong though...I know Mor Ryde doors opened up, saw them on one of the first coaches they were installed on at Goshen and the door was binding when opened.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I don't know when they started using the Mor Ryde doors, but I know they stopped in mid August 2010.

Peace
Dave

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

jmaguire

TandT, I agree 100%. Why is it that the caulking they used needs to be checked so frequently? I understand I wouldn't by my unit if it cost 100K so they need to keep the cost down, but if I knew how they kept the cost down I wouldn't own it at all. I have a freind who has a Aruba (2005) model and it has NEVER been re-caulked and the joints look just fine. His roof is tighter than mine and he has never had any leaks nor any delamination. Unfortunately I am stuck with a expensive repair to get rid of.

If it helps...those metal doors were made by Mor Ryde not Kinro (Lippert)...I would call Mor Ryde.

I thought also, from comments on the forum, that the doors were made by Mor Ryde. But Heartland CS says they are almost certain that the doors came from Keno. Another reason I'm not thrilled with CS. It took them a week and a half to determine that they are almost certain. That sure helps me when I call Keno. I actually know two people here at the campground we frequent that were thinking about a BH because they like ours but both have put their plans on hold pending the outcome. My whole complaint is that I didn't buy the doors from Keno. I bought them from Heartland. If Heartland cared about customer service they would have stepped up to the plate and called Keno. If you have a problem with something on your Ford, Chevy or Dodge truck you call your dealer first and then the manufacturer. You don't call the people that made the transmission or tire or whatever. The dealer we bought this from is no longer a Heartland dealer and they said it was because they had so many problems and had to fight with Heartland on every warranty claim. Of course, to be fair, there are two sides to every story.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Isn't there a sticker on the inside of the door saying who made it? I'm not at my rig right now, but I seem to recall there being labels on the inside of the doors. All of my 2009 BH3670 doors are the swing type and are not metal. They also don't leak.

kakampers

Just checked both websites and Kinro does not make anything like what you have...but it is identical to what Mor Ryde still makes today....even is used on the current outside entertainment centers in the Landmark, however, it is greatly improved from the original version.

I feel for your situation, but contacting the manufacturer of a vendor product is industry standard, as quite often their warranty is longer the 1 year the RV manufacturer has. This is especially important when the RV manufacturer warranty has expired.

If this is what your doors look like...they are made by Mor Ryde...

http://www.rvtrader.com/listing/2010-Heartland-Bighorn-3670RL-109101482