Surge Guard working?

Subdrv

I will try to keep this short. I purchase a surge guard model 34560 for the new Cyclone 2 weeks ago and had it installed before we picked it up. Now it cuts out several times a day. The longest it has gone was three days with out cutting out. 50 amp service

Things I have looked at are done.
1. Voltage at the pedestal 118 and 121
2. Voltage at the protector input 118 and 121
3. Had the rv park change the breaker and female plug in the pedestal and verify the neutral and ground are not connected.

I am looking for any ideas on what else to check. This model doesn't have the remote display to show what it sensed.

Robbie

Subdrv

Update while I was posting the power went out again. After the delay it didn't come back so I checked the pedestal again. L1 113 and L2 was 130 guess the surge guard is ding its job now to figure out what is causing the hig reading.

evolvingpowercat

There is a utility transformer that outputs 240 Volts AC or so and its output is center tapped so that you get 3 possibilities:

L1-L2 240 Volts AC
L1-N 120 Volts AC
L2-N 120 Volts AC 180 degrees different phase than L1

The Neutral N path between you and the utility transformer center tap likely has a problem, may be open. Be glad you have the surge guard it is doing its job. A lot of 120 volt items can't tolerate much over-voltage.

When Neutral goes open if there is something on on the L1 side and something on the L2 side you get current flow but one side can have a voltage much higher than 120 and other side will be much lower than 120 but the two will total up to about 240.

Subdrv

Finale fix. Surge Guard working?

Update on electrical issue: Saturday DW wife called to tell me we had no power and the surge guard was reading no power on L1. Checked everything breaker plugs surge guard still no power. I decided it was time to tear open the plug on the outside since the only thing left was it and the power cord. Once I took the female connection apart three of the four lugs required a 1/4 turn to tighten. No sign of head damage to the wires so it looks like an end to the power issues. Atleast for now