Directv mast extension

danemayer

We have a Directv Slimline 3 dish mounted on a shed and had to change the position of the shed a few days ago, rotating it about 45 degrees. Today I remounted the dish and found out why the installer wouldn't put it on the back of the shed in the first place: the roof interfered with the dish.

The fix was to find or make a 2 foot mast extension to raise the dish. Went to the local building supply, Lowes, True Value HW, and a plumbing supply store. Couldn't find a metal solution and didn't think the PVC couplers would stand up to the forces involved. Store #5 was Radio Shack. They laughed and said they didn't have anything either. But then the manager said, why not try an auto parts store?

Went to the NAPA store down the block and sure enough, they had a 2 foot exhaust pipe extension for $8. The flange on one end fit right over the existing mast. The dish collar slipped right over the other end. Drilled two holes in the flange end and added screws to keep it from rotating on the mast.

If you need a mast extension to raise the height of the dish, the 1-1/2" exhaust pipe extension is the solution.

wdk450

Dan:
You have already solved your problem, but I thought I would let you and the group know that the dish antenna is NOT aimed so that the center is directly pointed at the satellite(s). For some reason, references say that the actual satellite signal path is about 20 degrees UP from the LMB/reflector center plane. In my neighborhood I have noticed a south-facing satellite dish antenna mounted near the edge of sharply pitched East-West peaked roof so that it seems to point INTO the roof. I am assuming that these people's system works O.K.