Battery Maintenance

jpmorgan37

One of the little things that sometimes gets overlooked is the water level in our batteries and it is something that I try to check every six months. This time it was eight months and the "water" level was just at the top of the plates, so no harm done. I know that Jim Beletti discussed an automatic watering system for wet cell batteries several years ago. Because I like to check cables and such, I prefer to physically peer into each cell. So, just a reminder, make it a point to check the water in your battery. Even if you are winterizing and don't remove your battery, (I always did in Minnesota to keep them from freezing) you should check the water level before you put it to bed.

John

caddojay

Tired and Retired member
There is also a device sold under the name "Battery Wizard" that cycles your battery and periodically accelerates the voltage to prevent deposit build-up on the plates. Camping World sells them for around $15.00. This device simply plugs in to your converter. But...you still have to monitor the water level.

ChopperBill

Have only had to add water once in 1 1/2 years. Thanks to Heartland for installing the Inteli-power 9260 with Charge Wizard! About the best charger out there!

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
I have this neat little sensor that fits into a battery cap through a hole that has to be drilled into the cap. The sensor extends into the electrolite and turns on an led in the cap. If the led goes out, the water level is low.It can be adjusted so that the led goes out before the water reaches the plates. I use it in one of the cells closest to the center. These sensors are available through companies servicing fork lift batteries.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
jpmorgan37 said:
Ray, is there a website or source where we can order them in reasonable quantities?
I'll check with my ex boss. We got them from the company that serviced our fork lift batteries. I won't hear till next week though.

ChopperBill

I have the Interstate U2200 6v batteries. They have a uniqe set up where you flip a lever and all three caps come off at once in a group. makes checking the level easy.

Oldlthrneck

Just an Old Jarhead
Last edited: