Got me a new Remington 700 204 Ruger....

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Well I am not a bullet head, yet. I am just learning here in my old age. I am staying with a cousin in Oregon and he is a firearms Guru. He builds them, modifies them and loads them.

I had been looking to get me a good rifle. I have never had anything more than a 12 Gage pump, 22 Ruger revolver, 380 Belgium Colt from my uncle and a 22 long rifle Remington pump that I hunted rabbits with as a kid. So I am a real beginner. Jerry, my cousin, is also teaching me to reload. I missed the reloading class at Goshen. Wish I could have attended it.

After reading many of the posts in this forum, I find I am really a beginner so maybe I can pick some of your brains.

DSC_3481 [1024x768].JPG DSC_3497 [1024x768].JPG

BC

olcoon

Good choice Bob, I've got a Remington 700 in 30.06 and love it, if I tweaked the scope & was a tad better shot I could drive nails with it @ 100 yds! From what I understand, at least at one time the Seals used that model as a sniper rifle.

Kbvols

700 tried and true rifle great choice. Bob you need to bring that gun up to Ohio late January or Febuary and we'll do some Coyote hunting...oh yeah...bring some warm clothes...lol

Gaffer

Depends what you are going to use it for. If you are not going to reload, choice of caliber is less important price wise. You can't beat the model 70 Winchester in 30.06 for an all around good choice. Where are you in Oregon? We are in Bend.

Last edited:

DuaneG

I recently bought one in 270 wsm caliber. I like it a lot. Went with the 270 because I wanted to hunt pig and deer and there was more of this caliber available when I bought it.

That is a pretty blue stock, but not sure it would camouflage well unless the hunted was color blind.

I have been staying in n Calif (near Mendocino) and still want to go hunt with someone who has experience with deer and pig. I want to learn how to properly clean and process. If anyone is up for it let me know.

lwmcguir

I found it interesting the past 9 months how many times 270's were on the shelf and all other CF were sold out. We shoot several 270's and have for many years. Great all around caliber. We have 5.56's as well as many others but for hunting continue to carry the 270's. Checking the local WallMart in GC KS last week and 270 was again the only ones on the shelf. The next day they received a large shipment of other calibers. Most of the other places around including Cabals have all CF's back in stock. However no bulk 22LR's anywhere in our area yet.

olcoon

I have been staying in n Calif (near Mendocino) and still want to go hunt with someone who has experience with deer and pig. I want to learn how to properly clean and process. If anyone is up for it let me know.

Have you ever dressed any wild game, or for that matter, any animal? It's basically the same. Here is a pretty good You Tube video on field dressing & butchering a deer. BE WARNED: It is graphic & may not be for the faint hearted!!! Here are some written directions, you can find a bunch more by Googling "How to field dress a deer". Hope this helps!

DuaneG

I got a bear about 15 years ago, it resembled a person and have not done that since. I looked at a few videos and everyone has there own method, so I guess I will just have to try. A lot of wild pigs around here.