High Clearance Gas Station

DesertThumper

We will be taking our first trip soon with our road warrior. My question is that how do you plan your trailer regular gas fill up routine. Some of our local gas stations have high roof clearance but not enough to menuver 65 ft in the bay.

Any feed back or suggestions would be appreciated.

kowAlski631

If you're diesel, go through truck stops. We like Pilot, Flying J, & Loves. If you're gas, will defer to others.

Theresau

We're not as long as you... We have an extra tank in the pickup and we fill at truck stops if hooked up (otherwise we fill when we are disconnected).

DesertThumper

I think he means the "gas" tank on the trailer... toy hauler.
Good Question!

Yes. I mean the toy hauler auxilary tank. The diesel is easy. It is when you are all hooked up and having to fill gas in your trailer for your onan and atv use. Maybe need to look at each gas station clearance height and hopefully a pull through. Trying to remember if Pilot and others which we like too have high roof clearance for their regular gas pumps.

porthole

Retired
Pretty much any place I have been able to get diesel with the trailer I have had plenty of room for the trailer tank.

Fortunately for us, filling the toy tank is in frequent and hasn't been an issue waiting for a station that is suitable.

If at camp, I'll go get gas in a 14 gallon tote I got from Tractor Supply ($100).

The tote has a hand pump, but I usually try and do a gravity feed with the tote sitting in the bed of the truck.

NWILSON

Kentucky Chapter Leaders - retired
I've had the luck to have both pumps available under the same awning as well.
You may want to consider adding Sta Bil or a similar gas additive any time you put fuel in the trailer. It can save you a ton of money if the fuel gets left in there more than a couple weeks!

porthole

Retired
I've had the luck to have both pumps available under the same awning as well.
You may want to consider adding Sta Bil or a similar gas additive any time you put fuel in the trailer. It can save you a ton of money if the fuel gets left in there more than a couple weeks!

I use the ethanol version stabil (or similar ValveTec, Lucas) with every fill up. Never know how long the gas will be in the tank.

In the spring, all the gas comes out of the Cyclone and goes in either the yard equipment or the car. First trip of the year gets a fresh fuel load.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Al, if you can find a truck stop near you. They have a place that has diesel and gas on the outside for RV's. Remember, not all RV's are diesel. I know that Flying J's and Pilots do.

Mizmary

ruzyjuzu.jpg

Good reason to know your clearance.

There is another gas station near this with a much higher (though unmarked) clearance height.

We always use the rv or truck spots at truck stops. RV pumps don't always give us enough room to turn though.

DesertThumper

Al, if you can find a truck stop near you. They have a place that has diesel and gas on the outside for RV's. Remember, not all RV's are diesel. I know that Flying J's and Pilots do.

Thanks Bob. I am on the prowl for a safe station to do both fill ups. In Mojave, for example, a place we usually pass through or stop over for gas and or food. Today we went for a day trip of dirtbike riding pass Mojave and looked at the clearance heights at several gas stations. We found two that will work Its nerve racking especially when filling up the rig with diesel and not having to worry about unleaded gas with our previous trailer. We will adjust once we figure out which gas stations will be our comfort stops. By the way the pic Mizmary posted is a good example to be cautious and look for clearance height before you even pull in. If I'm unsure, I will pull to the side of the road or loop around again for double checking and safety purposes.

Last edited:

DesertThumper

I use the ethanol version stabil (or similar ValveTec, Lucas) with every fill up. Never know how long the gas will be in the tank.

In the spring, all the gas comes out of the Cyclone and goes in either the yard equipment or the car. First trip of the year gets a fresh fuel load.

Thanks NWilson. I will take your recommendation.

taken

One thing we noticed is this. When we go to service areas on the highway, the diesel is usually off to the right and the gas pumps are bunched together on the left of the building. That's why when your entering it says trucks to the right and cars to the left. Well, one day while filling the truck I noticed one of the pumps was a gas pump. When I started to look around each time I filled, I noticed that most large service areas on the highway have at least one gas pump over with the diesel pumps. This is for large gas vehicles like box trucks or Class A's that run the Ford V10 etc. So, often I can fill both the truck and the toyhauler's gas tank without even moving. I will usually fill it even if I don't need to when I find it easy to get at like this.

Herm45

Hi Paul, We are planning to make some longer trips (first time 5vers) and have a concern about being able to get diesel. Most stations with diesel will not handle a 40 ft 5ver. Have never used truck stop where the "big rigs" fill up. I assume it is the same diesel but do they also have pumps with fuel hoses that have the same size as a regular gas pump would have. Our ram fuel tank fill opening is only large enough to take a "regular" size pump. I realize this sounds silly, but would appreciate the advise.
Thanks,

happyappy

Hi Paul, We are planning to make some longer trips (first time 5vers) and have a concern about being able to get diesel. Most stations with diesel will not handle a 40 ft 5ver. Have never used truck stop where the "big rigs" fill up. I assume it is the same diesel but do they also have pumps with fuel hoses that have the same size as a regular gas pump would have. Our ram fuel tank fill opening is only large enough to take a "regular" size pump. I realize this sounds silly, but would appreciate the advise.
Thanks,

The "big rig" nozzle is larger; but your Ram has an inlet sized to accept it.

Even my diesel VW could accept the larger nozzle. Given it had a 12 gallon tank...fill ups were fast!

Birchwood

We don't like the atmosphere and food at truck stops but we mostly stop at truck stops.Truckers are friendly but find the food not that greatest.Yes flying J ,Pilot,Loves that's were we stop.Lots of room to manouver the rig with no stress

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
Most Flying J's (at least in the Mid Atlantic) have dedicated RV pumps. A few Pilots do also, but not many. I try to fill up at the Flying J's, but use the truck pumps at the other truck stops. I also try to avoid "conventional" gas stations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

priorguy

My area along highway 17 in northern Ontario is home to the famous Antrim Truck Stop. But most of the stations along the highway are RV friendly due to the multitude of campgrounds along the road.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk