Air conditioner question.

For those of you with the whisper quiet dual AC. How loud is this system? I have not had the chance to hear one running yet. Also, are the ducts between the BR and LR units connected, so that air flows between the front and back if using only one AC? I have heard differing opinions on both of these questions. We are looking at the Key Largo specifically. It is in the top 2 in the search, and I hope to get inside one soon myself to see these things first hand. No dealer near by has any.

danemayer

This is from p9 of our owner-written Heating and Cooling Guide.

Whisper Quiet Air Conditioning System

The Whisper-Quiet system comes standard with15,000 BTU high efficiency air conditioners in both the

living area and the bedroom, along with a redesigned ducting system that combines the cold air output

and warm air return from both units. Each air conditioning unit is controlled by its own thermostat; one

in the living area and the other in the bedroom. The separate thermostats and combined ductwork
allow owners to customize how the two units work together to better cool the entire trailer and even

out air temperatures.

Because of the redesigned ducting, the compressor and blower motors are repositioned to reduce noise

inside the coach. The larger bedroom unit is taller than the lo-profile 13,500 BTU unit used on other

coaches and raises the highest point of the coach by 3-4” to a new height of 13’3”.

Minimizing A/C Noise in the Living Room or in the Bedroom

A key advantage of the Whisper Quiet system is the ability to tailor settings to minimize noise in the living room or in the bedroom.

To minimize noise in the living room, set the bedroom thermostat to a very low set-point temperature.

With the FAN set to AUTO, the temperature differential will cause it to run on HIGH and pump lots of
cold air through the integrated ducts, into the living room. The living room thermostat FAN setting can

be changed to LOW, with a higher set point temperature for cooling mode. The living room A/C will
then operate quietly, but will still circulate the cold air coming from the bedroom A/C. When getting ready to go to sleep, you can reverse these settings to keep the bedroom cool with minimum A/C noise

Rodbuster

We have just traded a 2012 Key Largo with the noisy air conditioning system for a 2014 Grand Canyon with the Whisper Quiet AC system.
We are very pleased with the reduction in noise level with the new system.
Running the system like Dan pointed out in the guide works great.

Dick

GlenStMary

Your questions are very appropriate to be answered before such a major purchase. We have a new Key Largo and I can say the AC units are a lot more quiet than what I've heard in the past. But I wouldn't say they are "whisper quiet". In our Key Largo the living room AC seems more quiet than that of the bedroom AC, however, I attribute that to the amount of space in which the noise can travel. The bedroom AC seems louder but it also sits over a much smaller area. The ducting is shared between the living area and the bedroom which allows a transfer of cold air to the bedroom when only the living room AC is running. Although the bedroom AC seems to be louder than the living room AC, both are no more noisy than what we have experienced in most hotels or motels. We found that if we set the living room AC to a lower temp setting than the bedroom, we can sleep through the night comfortably with the living room AC providing the cooling into the bedroom without the bedroom AC coming on much at all. We really love our Key Largo and I'm sure you will find that unit will probably fit your expectations very well. We haven't found a single dissatisfaction with our unit although we have found things we would like to see added to the design, just to make it even better. Good luck with your decision.

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
We too have the Key Largo and agree with above statements....not whisper quiet, but much better than the Bighorn system. We also use the main A/C to cool the bedroom and vice versa....works great, especially on 30 amps and we can only run one air...

Thanks to all for your responses. I must say that this forum is one of the reasons that the Key Largo is in our top 2 for our full time rig that we hope to purchase within the year. The responses are honest, questions are answered quickly, and in detail. You guys are fantastic.

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
One thing we did that really helps with this system is we bought ceiling vents that close for the bedroom and bathroom (bathroom will get like a meat locker) and close those vents off...that forces more air into the living area and keeps it comfortable even when using only the bedroom A/C....

Theresau

Also, the new Dometic Brisk II models are in general quieter than the Dometic Brisk Air. These are being used currently. We have them because our 2 AC's were defective and replaced with the Brisk II.

We don't have the built in AC units like the Landmarks but do have the integrated ducting between the BR and LR ACs. We find that the Brisk II are much quieter and with the Brisk II we find that we can just run the bedroom even if it gets to 90 degrees and sunny. The Brisk Air had a more difficult time doing this - needed to run both ACs it was 90 and sunny. The Brisk II 13,500 AC has a stronger fan - went from 2.0 to 2.7.