Generator usage while plugged in

klindgren

Retired Virginia Chapter Leaders
<p>
Im told I should start my generator at least once a month to insure everything is working properly. My question concerns starting and running the genny for a few minutes while I am hooked up to shore power...Can I do it, or should I unplug from shore power first? Id really like not to have to go back around and reset all the clocks etc. but I dont want to damage anything either.</p>

Vtxkid

You can leave shore power hooked up while your warming up the genny... the auto-switchover will still have shore power as the primary as long as it is hooked up. We have the EMS in our system after the auto-switchover so once I disconnect shore power, we still get a few second delay before the genny takes over which means loss of clocks etc. will happen anyway.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC

porthole

Retired
Jerry, you sure?
My Genny has priority. The coach will always be supplied by the Genny if running, shore power or not.

Kieth, as Jerry said, OK to leave hooked up. And if your unit is also Genny priority, you will lose power momentarily as the auto transfer switch switches over. It may be fast enough though to not lose the clocks. But, if you have a Progressive EMS you will be without power s the supply is anayized.

One running on the genny you should load it up, turn everything on that you can, even all the 12 volt lights.
Work the genny for 15-20 minutes then turn everything off and let it run in "cool down" mode for 5 minutes. Once a month is a good exercise cycle.

Vtxkid

Jerry, you sure?
My Genny has priority. The coach will always be supplied by the Genny if running, shore power or not

Duane, I have turned the genny on while shore power is on while breaking down for leaving the site several times as I didn't want to lose power inside yet for the DW but wanting to pack up the cord. Until shore power is shut off, genny doesn't take priority on this rig...

danemayer

Duane, I have turned the genny on while shore power is on while breaking down for leaving the site several times as I didn't want to lose power inside yet for the DW but wanting to pack up the cord. Until shore power is shut off, genny doesn't take priority on this rig...

I'm wondering how you're determining whether the power is coming from the pedestal or the generator.

From the Progressive Dynamics 5100 manual:
When the shore power is applied the relay is at rest and power is transferred to the panel. When Generator power is applied there is a 20-45 second delay and then the relay activates transferring Generator power to the panel.

If shore power returns while the Gen power is present nothing will happen. When the Gen power is removed the relay will drop out and allow the shore side to supply power.

Generator overrides shore power.

Vtxkid

Danemayer, you can hear the genny take the load once the EMS clears the power.

scottyb

From the Progressive Dynamics 5100 manual:

When the shore power is applied the relay is at rest and power is transferred to the panel. When Generator power is applied there is a 20-45 second delay and then the relay activates transferring Generator power to the panel.

If shore power returns while the Gen power is present nothing will happen. When the Gen power is removed the relay will drop out and allow the shore side to supply power.

Generator overrides shore power.

The generator should have priority over shore power. I run my generator at times when connected to 30 A shore power, if I want to run both AC's to cool down quickly. You can clearly hear the transfer switch when it engages. I turn off the AC before starting it, then turn them on one at a time, just as a precaution.

Wrenched

According to the manual - it is recommended to run the generator for an hour once a month during the off season. You can leave your shore power plugged in.
Couple of important things to remember:
Shut off all major electrical draws before starting your generator (easier on the transfer switch that way).
Load up the genny to about 1/2 power. In the winter, running 2-1500 watt electric heaters in the coach provides a decent load.
Before shutting down, shed the loads and allow the generator to run for another few minutes to cool down.
Shut down and you're good for another month.
Oh, BTW, be sure to put gasoline stabilizer in your gas tank to prevent deterioration of your fuel over the winter months. (Deterioration starts after only a couple of months).