Storing RV with Wheels Up

Greengas

I will be storing my Landmark at the Air Force Academy Famcamp from around Mid October to the end of March. It will be on a full hookup site (mix of dirt and gravel) and we will be using it on weekends, etc., throughout the winter. I was wondering if it would be a good idea of use the leveling system to raise the tires off the ground just a bit and then put jack stands under the axels or frame, which ever is better. I know from reading another thread that there is no problem with leaving the 6 point system deployed all winter. But I thought it might help with tire wear to get them off the ground a bit. Also, my plan is to leave the slides extended the entire time (makes set up much quicker). I will be "winterizing" the coach after each visit and it will not be hooked up to water or electric while we are not there. Because this is Colorado, the temps to get cold and it does snow. We did this with our SOB last winter and all was fine.

I appreciate everyone's thoughts, recommendations and suggestions :)

happykraut

I don't know how safe you feel there, but my first thought was how easy it would be to walk off with your tires/wheels.

katkens

Founding Illinios Chapter Leader-retired
I have raised mine about a inch off the ground using level up the past 4 winters and no ill effects.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
My rig sits on its tires for the same length of time in Michigan. Hasn't caused any damage.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
I would put the tires on wood or plastic blocks and put them down. I would never put jack stands under the axles. If something happened with your level up system....it could cause lots of damage.

Birchwood

Don't worry about your tires because the damage occurs from the infiltration of air into the area between the tires inner lining and the outer tread.The air that enters this area heats when you travel and eventually causes tire failure(blows).It doesn't matter whether your tires are off the ground or in the ground TIME is the issue.

Grey Ghost

I will be storing my Landmark at the Air Force Academy Famcamp from around Mid October to the end of March. It will be on a full hookup site (mix of dirt and gravel) and we will be using it on weekends, etc., throughout the winter. I was wondering if it would be a good idea of use the leveling system to raise the tires off the ground just a bit and then put jack stands under the axels or frame, which ever is better. I know from reading another thread that there is no problem with leaving the 6 point system deployed all winter. But I thought it might help with tire wear to get them off the ground a bit. Also, my plan is to leave the slides extended the entire time (makes set up much quicker). I will be "winterizing" the coach after each visit and it will not be hooked up to water or electric while we are not there. Because this is Colorado, the temps to get cold and it does snow. We did this with our SOB last winter and all was fine.

I appreciate everyone's thoughts, recommendations and suggestions :)

I store mine up on wood planks, works pretty good. I did hear of people storing them with the tires on plastic cutting boards and that sounds pretty good too.