2004 Chevy 2500HD Duramax 6.6

tmason

We are considering an upgrade to the BigHorn 3650RL. It's GVWR is 15,500 lbs. I currently tow with a 2004 Chevy 2500HD Durmax 6.6. I'm really confused on whether I need to step up to a 3500 dually or can I keep my current truck? Thanks in advance for any insights.

danemayer

Hi tmason,

You need to consider two things: how much weight your truck can pull forward (5th wheel towing capacity), and how much vertical load it will accept on the rear axle (payload). A BH that's fully loaded at 15,500# will have a pin weight (vertical load) around 3,000#, which is pretty heavy for a 2500. Not sure what the towing capacity is on a 2004, but it might fall a little short of 15,500#.

You can figure it all out at Fifth Wheel Safe Towing.

Lynn1130

I am maxed out with the 3010. I strongly suggest upgrading. You will have no trouble pulling it but your weight is going to over in every other aspect. You are under what the Duramax will pull ( tow capacity of 16,700) but everything else is going to be over.

Someone told me once, that the Duramax will pull anything. Getting it stopped is another story. The brakes could be better for such a work horse.

Last edited: