PDA

View Full Version : Best Portable Camping Grill

heiserk
09-04-2013, 03:17 PM
Okay everyone...what's the best portable camping grill out there? Give me your pro's and con's. What do you like and what don't you like? My wife and I need to purchase a new one for our Sundance 5900MK but want something portable, durable, and that can be stored away fairly easily.

Invizatu
09-04-2013, 04:00 PM
Weber Q120... It fits all our needs, can't beat a Weber!

pegmikef
09-04-2013, 04:02 PM

Or the poor man's Weber, the Smokey Joe . . . no messy gas to deal with, just charcoal and starter . . .

jnbhobe
09-04-2013, 04:02 PM
Any Weber is good.

RoadJunkie
09-04-2013, 04:08 PM
Don't laugh, but here is some out of the box thinking. We sold our conventional BBQ grill and bought a Traeger "portable" grill, the PTG: http://www.traegergrills.com/shop/grills/BBQ020#.UiefZdghW6M

Think of this unit as a smoker more than a grill, and I recommend you spend a little time looking at their blog located within their web page. Now, this does take 110Vac to operate the pellet feeding auger and fan, but ohhhhhhhh, the food is fabulous!! And you must, of course, carry wood pellets to flavor with your favorite wood type; mesquite, apple, hickory, etc. The unit weighs about 35 pounds, and is admittedly not for everyone, but we simply love ours. We cook a whole chicken in about 1 1/2 hours, and smoked some savory pork ribs using the 3+2+1 recipe (6 hours cooking time, total). Or, we smoked some beef tenderloin steaks for about an hour and then seared for about 10 minutes. Viola, mouth watering, must have, experience. But, you can always go with the Weber Baby-Q.

RuralPastor
09-04-2013, 04:45 PM

This one.

priorguy
09-04-2013, 05:05 PM
I have this grill, it's small and got lots of space. Easily a dozen burgers (Costco sized) and it fits in an RV storage door nicely. I also know a few people using the Coleman road trip that like it.
http://images.lowes.com/product/converted/091075/091075417800lg.jpg

wdk450
09-04-2013, 05:22 PM
This is even more out of the box: I have been carrying my propane grill in the back of the truck, but haven't used it in 2 years. I have gone over to Liquid Smoke, Hickory and Mesquite. I get the smoky flavor without all of the grill bother.

Bob&Patty
09-04-2013, 05:30 PM
Any Weber Q. The Coleman roadtrip is WAY tooo big and heavy.

GOTTOYS
09-04-2013, 06:08 PM
Weber Q here too. No flare ups, no hot spots, cast iron grate, easy to clean. I won't even look at anything else....Don

GlenStMary
09-04-2013, 06:22 PM
I second that! The only problem I have had with this grill is when the heat plate finally goes, it is a PITA to find another plate. Mine is over 15 years old, still looks as it did when new, but has been through two plates up to this point, and I'm looking for another at this moment. Priorguy, if you know where I can find another heat plate, please let me know.

Greengas
09-04-2013, 06:33 PM
I bought the portable grill that is sold at Sams Club. Plenty of power, heats fast and consistent, and its got square sides so it stores easy. The thing I don't like about the Weber and other such grills is that they grill plate is just that, a plate. Too much solid surface. Acts more like frying than grilling.

Ok Weber Lovers, let me have it! :0

Pizzaguy
09-04-2013, 06:34 PM
Weber Q here too. No flare ups, no hot spots, cast iron grate, easy to clean. I won't even look at anything else....Don
I even take the WeberQ out of the camper to use when we are home. Have 2 gas grills we don't even use.

Ray LeTourneau
09-04-2013, 07:21 PM
Another vote for Weber Q120 from me. I've had several others including an Olympian from Camping World. the Weber, in my opinion is far better. Ours is 7 years old with all the original parts. No rust on the burner or anything else. Even heat and easy to clean about twice a year. Oven cleaner a brush and hose. The Q100 is the same grill without the side tables. OH yes, the igniter still works.

ILH
09-04-2013, 07:28 PM
I had the Weber Q120 for a couple of years - then upgraded to the Q200 this year. Tons more room!

BuckeyeTravelers
09-04-2013, 07:33 PM
Gotta go with the Weber!!! Only mine is the electric. No messing with propane or charcoal. Plug it in & go. Plus use the park's power.You're paying for it!

mlburst1
09-04-2013, 08:08 PM
Q100 here - easy to light - large cooking area - easy cleanup - stores nicely.

conradsteph
09-04-2013, 08:43 PM
Coleman Roadtrip for us. Love the griddle and pot burner accessories. Griddle to sear and then move over to grill grate to finish. Not many portables can split up your grill area to do just that unless it has 2 burners.

TravelTiger
09-04-2013, 09:12 PM
We like our O-grill! So much we bought their larger version for the house.

http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/o-grill/48961

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free (http://tapatalk.com/m/)

brianharrison
09-04-2013, 09:47 PM
Sportsman Series - two burner - all stainless steel - grill, flame deflectors, case, burners. etc. 24,000 BTU. I added a thermometer to help determine cooking temps.

Sams Club has it (http://www.samsclub.com/sams/portable-stainless-steel-gas-grill-with-cover/prod2500002.ip) - I bought mine from Costco.

Brian

gebills
09-04-2013, 09:58 PM
This may be an area where the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence. We use the Coleman Road Trip LXE. My son uses the same grill when camping. I'm not fond of what it takes to clean after use. Seems like I can never get it clean enough to suit me. I keep toying with the idea of going back to a charcoal grill although the simplicity of the gas grills make it pretty simple. My next move will be to find a gas grill that cleans much easier than the Road Trip. For now, we're gettin' by with the Road Trip. gebills

Ray LeTourneau
09-05-2013, 09:04 AM
This may be an area where the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence. We use the Coleman Road Trip LXE. My son uses the same grill when camping. I'm not fond of what it takes to clean after use. Seems like I can never get it clean enough to suit me. I keep toying with the idea of going back to a charcoal grill although the simplicity of the gas grills make it pretty simple. My next move will be to find a gas grill that cleans much easier than the Road Trip. For now, we're gettin' by with the Road Trip. gebills
I've always wire brushed the grill as soon as the meat comes off. Our Weber has cast iron grates and once seasoned, very easy to clean.

heiserk
09-05-2013, 09:37 AM
Wow! Awesome replies! Looks like the Weber is a popular choice but many other options too. Thanks everyone! Keep 'em coming!

vangoes
09-05-2013, 09:43 AM
I have the Q220 and love the way it cooks thoroughly and rarely if ever will it flare up. However, I have had to replace the regulator twice in the 3 1/2 years that I have owned it. Fortunately Weber replaced both of them at no expense as the first one went out within the first year of warranty and the second one went out within the next year. Other than that, they are a great grill.

porthole
09-05-2013, 10:22 AM
My weber q200 left the RV and is now on the deck at the house. The single burner just doesn't cut it, and the low flame frequnetly goes out in a stiff breeze.

I like the Webers though. The grill on teh q-200 is the perfect size to use on most campfire truck rim rings.

Curently using the Costco version of the stainless grill linked above. Works good and has 2 burners.
Tends to splatter out the side vents so I added some stainless sheetmetal I had in the garage. Blocked the vents on both sides to keep the splatter in.

Lockandload
09-29-2013, 05:22 AM
We have a weber Q and love it, but when it gives out I think I will look into a treager pellet grill, I have a Green Mountain pellet grill I use at home and you can do anything from smoke,bake or grill on it. Green Mountain just does not have a portable one yet.

currituck0209
09-29-2013, 05:31 AM
Do not get the coleman grill, has grill on one end, eye on the other, really nice, except the grill top melted. Made of alum. Not good.

JohnDar
09-29-2013, 09:16 AM
We have a Weber Q200 that we normally keep with the trailer and a smaller Q100 that we had with our TT. I was looking at the newer Q300's, but the cost and fixed stand (both of mine have removable rolling carts) have told me that maybe I should just bring the Q100 back to the rig and have all the extra cooking surface I need.

The way our seasonal site sits, the grills on their stands store easily under the dining room slide, out of the weather. A cable lock around the slide mechanism keeps them there when we're not in residence.

HornedToad
10-01-2013, 06:40 PM

Here is a worthless recommendation, unless you tailgate with a big crowd...

I have the WORST portable, but the BEST grill. When I bought a new grill at Academy and it took four people to load it up I knew I was in trouble, so I cut the legs off of my New Braunfels Smoker/Grill and mounted it to a garden cart. Now I take it with me on almost every trip. In my travel trailer days I would load it in the pick-up with motorcycle ramps, now I just ramp it up into the toyhauler.

Low and slow is the only way to go!!! Last week we had hickory smoked roaster chickens for twenty with Big Bob Gibson's white BBQ sauce. Next year our season opener is against Arkansas and I've already found a butcher to get a suckling pig. Sooie!!!

daynawide
10-01-2013, 07:34 PM
Camp chef big gas 3 by far the best grill.works off low pressure gas .heavy but not junk.

happyappy
10-02-2013, 09:18 AM
We have a weber Q and love it, but when it gives out I think I will look into a treager pellet grill, I have a Green Mountain pellet grill I use at home and you can do anything from smoke,bake or grill on it. Green Mountain just does not have a portable one yet.

Green Mountain just released what could be considered a portable unit called the Davy Crockett. It looks like an interesting choice that would provide a lot of cooking options in a fairly small package.

Does your pellet grill work well as a grill (i.e. searing steaks, cooking burgers, etc.)?

jassson007
10-02-2013, 06:19 PM
Here is a worthless recommendation, unless you tailgate with a big crowd...

I have the WORST portable, but the BEST grill. When I bought a new grill at Academy and it took four people to load it up I knew I was in trouble, so I cut the legs off of my New Braunfels Smoker/Grill and mounted it to a garden cart. Now I take it with me on almost every trip. In my travel trailer days I would load it in the pick-up with motorcycle ramps, now I just ramp it up into the toyhauler.

Low and slow is the only way to go!!! Last week we had hickory smoked roaster chickens for twenty with Big Bob Gibson's white BBQ sauce. Next year our season opener is against Arkansas and I've already found a butcher to get a suckling pig. Sooie!!!

As far as tailgate meals I got ya beat in two weeks. We are doing blackened shrimp fettuccini. Yummy!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

priorguy
10-02-2013, 07:43 PM
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_i_AovfzNXgQ/SP6nmFQeMeI/AAAAAAAAa0M/xybQTMJ_F6U/s400/DSCN2079.jpg (http://www.google.ca/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&frm=1&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&docid=NpoBaUQ4VoAkSM&tbnid=cH_oNRoJpLIn8M:&ved=0CAUQjRw&url=http%3A%2F%2Fjustacarguy.blogspot.com%2F2008%2 F10%2Fone-mighty-big-grill-johnsonville-brat.html&ei=3LxMUpLjKsKrrQHDx4DoAw&bvm=bv.53537100,d.aWM&psig=AFQjCNFQ0UrtPKxtpufEU5wZb9NpV7mxEQ&ust=1380847180707697)
This is the best portable grill I could find online. Just need to get my AZ license and off to the tailgate party!! :cool:

ziggy
10-02-2013, 09:26 PM
Green Mountain just released what could be considered a portable unit called the Davy Crockett. It looks like an interesting choice that would provide a lot of cooking options in a fairly small package.

Does your pellet grill work well as a grill (i.e. searing steaks, cooking burgers, etc.)?

Mark just bought one of those. We will get it next weekend and will try it out soon after that.

Kristy

HornedToad
10-03-2013, 12:44 PM
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_i_AovfzNXgQ/SP6nmFQeMeI/AAAAAAAAa0M/xybQTMJ_F6U/s400/DSCN2079.jpg (http://www.google.ca/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&frm=1&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&docid=NpoBaUQ4VoAkSM&tbnid=cH_oNRoJpLIn8M:&ved=0CAUQjRw&url=http%3A%2F%2Fjustacarguy.blogspot.com%2F2008%2 F10%2Fone-mighty-big-grill-johnsonville-brat.html&ei=3LxMUpLjKsKrrQHDx4DoAw&bvm=bv.53537100,d.aWM&psig=AFQjCNFQ0UrtPKxtpufEU5wZb9NpV7mxEQ&ust=1380847180707697)
This is the best portable grill I could find online. Just need to get my AZ license and off to the tailgate party!! :cool:

Yup, it's portable and you could set up a boy scout camp inside it...
so it get's my vote as the best portable camping grill!!!

happyappy
10-03-2013, 01:14 PM
Mark just bought one of those. We will get it next weekend and will try it out soon after that.

Kristy

You'll have to let us know how it cooks after you've put it through it's paces. Looks like it will fit nicely in the basement...

greg7140
10-03-2013, 02:17 PM
I have to second the Traeger Pellet Grills! I have the JR Elite with tailgater kit on it...a little large probably to be truly called a "portable"...but I don't go anywhere with out it! I purchased the "Texan" model for house so the "JR" now is only used when on the road. My poor 'ole "Baby Q" got upset from lack of use and now won't even light anymore! :p

Silverado23
10-03-2013, 03:50 PM
I found a master forge stainless steel portable grill at Lowes. It works well and has very even heat. It is portable yet the full grill area cooks very evenly.

JohnD
10-04-2013, 11:41 PM
I have one of those Coleman camp grills . . . and I hate it!

No matter how low you have the flame, it burns the kRap out of everything!!! :mad:

And trying to clean the grates . . . once or twice and no more teflon.

I bought one of these for $30 bucks at Target just before our Memorial Day Weekend campout:

http://www.target.com/p/char-broil-tabletop-gas-grill/-/A-12802282#prodSlot=medium_1_21

Fits in our cubby hole and doesn't take up a lot of space and it works great! :cool: