iPad for gps nav?

danemayer

Hi RollingStones,

Are you asking how to maintain an internet connection on the iPad while driving?

alex00

I don't use my iPad for navigation, but use my Android phone all the time for GPS. On the phone, as long as I have a signal to set the route, I can be out of cell/wifi range and still continue to get turn by turn directions. If I deviate from the route to cause a recalculation it messes everything up. The iPad may have similar functionality.

jbeletti

When using a iPad for gps navigation, is there a alternative to using the hot spot feature on a cell phone?

Yes there is. But first, not that the Apple Maps app that is native in iOS downloads map tiles as needs (as you move along). Downloaded as in from the Internet. There are actual navigation apps that allow you to pre-download tiles (regions actually) so no Internet is needed.

If you have an iPad that has no cellular radio in it - then it does NOT have a GPS receiver built-in. What you can use in that case is a small GPS receiver that plugs into the connector on the short end of the iPad. Dan Halvorsen (herbiesrig on this forum) used a GPS receiver called Bad Elf. He has the older 30-pin connector on his iPad so he bought the 30-pin Bad Elf. If you have a newer iPad with the small Lighting connector, get the correct GPS receiver for that or use a Lighting to 30-pin adapter.

The navigation app that I showed Dan that I used at times is Motion X HD. It's not free but it's pretty good. It's one that allows you to pre-download map tiles.

porthole

Retired
Jim, do you get accurate navigation with the Motion X?

If I don't have a cell connection I don't have navigation with any of the map programs, Apple map, Motion X. ALl-Stays etc.

I think it really stinks that you buy a device with a GPS built in but it doesn't work without a cell connection.

danemayer

My iPad has 3G capability but it's not activated, and the GPS works. The lower-priced WiFi only units apparently don't come with GPS.

RollingStones

Big Horn 3610RE
Thanks. Really need to get into the into the information age. Wife got the mini but no clue about GPS. Need to check that out. Missed a turn at a RV park over the weekend, our Nav app on phone was off by a half mile. Thankfully able to back up.

TXTiger

There are actually two versions of the iPad. One works on WiFi only and the other uses WiFi and LTE. If you have the duel mode version you can use it on the move. Otherwise you need a WiFi connection, or cell phone hot spot as a WiFi connection.

priorguy

Anyone remember the problem with apple maps in Australia? Nothing beats the old paper GPS, or as my father calls it the "Grandpa Positioning System." Anytime I trust the GPs over a map I miss a toll, or need to pull a trailer onto a fairy instead of taking a bridge. I try to plan my route ahead of time with a map and then make sure the GPS takes the same route. Currently using an Android phone with google maps GPS.

greg7140

As the the others have said, if you don't have a iPad that is cellular ready then it won't be able to function as a GPS navigator on the road as it doesn't have a GPS Chip installed. It does have "wifi assisted gps" which can find your position within a few miles using Wifi "triangulation", but this is not really of any use in a moving vehicle.

If you are planning to get an iPad I would highly recommend spending the extra $100 or so and getting the cellular version even if you don't plan on activating a data plan. But data plans start out as low as $20 for 1GB of usage.

Apple Maps is getting better but was the laugh of the mapping programs when first came out with taking people to wrong place,etc. If you have used a Garmin Street Maps GPS before and like it the App Store has a fantastic "Garmin Navigator" for iPad/ iPhone. It is totally self contained, meaning you download about a 2.5GB app and then it works just like your store bought Garmin GPS and does not rely on any kind of wifi or cellular data use once installed. I think the basic app is around $50 and if you get all the "extras" like traffic data, etc...then it will run about $100 I believe. I have used it on my iPads and iPhones for the past 3 years or so. It is like having a 10" GPS screen. Ram Mount and others have dash mounts for the iPad and iPad mini that will put that huge very easy to see screen up on the dash.

Another inexpensive option if you have a hot spot on your phone is to purchase something like a "Hisense Sero 7Pro" Android tablet at Walmart. They are around $130 and feature both blue tooth connectivity and an actual GPS chip. This would allow you to used the very good Free Google Maps application. The downfall to google maps over the iPad with The Garmin app is that if you get into a location that there is no cell data for your phones hotspot then the program has no way to update the Maps as you are driving. Again with the Garmin app on the iPad or iPhone the entire mapping data is on the device so it is fast to load and works even when out of cellular data in the middle of nowhere.

Sorry for the long reply...I am sort of a techno geek, so to speak...

I have attached a couple of screen shots of the app on the iPad...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    187 KB · Views: 42
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    227 KB · Views: 45
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    215.8 KB · Views: 44

porthole

Retired
Co-pilot, can't get it to auto recalculate. Anyone else try that?

Because of that, I found out yesterday it is useless on the bike.

dave10a

I would think routing options to allow one to configure the GPS software for the type of vehicle one is driving would be a strong consideration. It gets embarrassing to discover a clearance problem or an illegal road while pulling a large fifth wheel.

danemayer

CoPilot app allows an RV config but goes only to 13' at present. Also, I've been unable to find out whether it warns of low clearances or routes around.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

chiefneon

CoPilot app allows an RV config but goes only to 13' at present. Also, I've been unable to find out whether it warns of low clearances or routes around.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Howdy!

As stated I'm a fulltimer an have been using Co-pilot for awhile. I us the RV setting which is good up to 13' and it will keep you off of roadways as I've made my way on to a received a notice to reroute. Our new Cyclone 4000 I beleive is over 13' and I will at that time purchase the trucker app so I can set the height for it. I've used Garmin GPS's for years and I see no need I purchasing a stand alone GPS if you own a tablet or smartphone. I much prefer using my Samsung Note 10.1 tablet and love the large screen while traveling. We had no problems using Co-Pilot on our trip this year to the Canadian Maritimes (New Brunswick, Nova Scotia and Newfoundland).

"Happy Trails"
Chiefneon

Last edited by a moderator:
The best GPS app I've used on my iPad is NavFreeUSA. https://itunes.apple.com/ca/app/navfree-gps-usa-+-street-view/id405922167?mt=8

It has all the good features that everyone likes. Auto rerouting, downloadable maps (don't need cell connection), current speed, estimated time of arrival (that updates as you drive), zooms in when a turn is coming up, voice turn announcing.

If you have a wifi only ipad then you don't have a GPS chip. With this app you can download just the States you will be travelling through. You will need a GPS device to attach to the ipad though. There are wired and bluetooth versions.

If you have a wifi+LTE version then you do have a GPS chip. You can download just the States you want at home and not use up your data downloading them as you drive.