Comic Relief

priorguy

Comic Relief Needed

Just had a comical back and forth with Mizmary on another thread and I came to thinking I haven't seen a thread for funny stories. Please share your experiences either personal or observed while RV'ing. Kind of like Readers digest has funny sections about school, work, military service. What have you witnessed or done that made you say "what was I/they thinking."

Common examples, like a sewer hose dragging, or watching your trailer pass you down a hill. Everyone has at least one I bet.:cool:

Last edited:

Mizmary

Re: Comic Relief Needed

Good idea! Next time someone drives past dragging their sewer hose I'll make sure to snap a picture!

priorguy

And every time you see duct tape on an RV, ask the owner for the story behind it. Hopefully they're good natured about it and can admit to their mistake. The two best movie examples have to the THE RV with Robing Williams and National Lampoons Vacation with Chevy Chase. Who can forget "The Family Truckster."

jasons09cyclone

Akways make sure the sewer valves are closed before you take the cap off the drain plug to dump.. my GF said it reminded her of the movie RV when I was blasted with sewage in front of other pssser bys..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 4

priorguy

Never take the tongue off the ball on a hill before chalking the wheels. Not so bad with a tent trailer, but possibly deadly with a travel trailer. This thread could turn into a "must read" for any newbies out there. A little bit of "Don't Do What Donny Don't Does."

Mizmary

Totally not rv related- but you should also NOT attempt to drive the motorcycle onto the trailer unless it is attached to a vehicle.

donr827

If you have a trailer with the UDC make sure that the water selector valve is in the correct position. When I was doing the PDI on my trailer the person showing me how to do everything made a mistake, I would never make that mistake:rolleyes:, on the selector valve position. Could cause the black tank to over flow through the toilet. Thank goodness for the water alarms I put in the trailer.
Don

123camper

In the old days and the kids were young we did a lot of camping in a pop up with my brother in law, sister in law and their 2 children. We would leave when we all got off work and arrive at the campsites after dark. This one night it had been raining so we were in a hurry to get set up and go to bed. The in laws but their kids to sleep, got undress for bed. They climbed into bed and rolled out back onto the ground in their underwear. They had forgot to put the support bars under their bed. We laughed for days and still tell that story 35 years later!

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Re: Comic Relief . . . DOH!

Our previous trailer, a 1978 Coachman Cadet 24 footer, was a piece of krap, but we sure had a lot of fun with it for the last 12 years!

Nothing worked in it, except the stove, furnace and electricity.

And we couldn't use the furnace as the fan squealed so loud that it woke up the whole campground!

That tanks were all busted up . . . so couldn't use the tub or toilet!

We used the tub/shower as a place to keep the coolers since the fridge would kick off the circuit breakers . . . and I never even thought to try to see if it would run off of the LP gas! :eek:

And the trailer brakes . . . they would work while driving uphill, or when you really didn't need them to work.

But coming down the mountains (we live in Colorado), they would ALWAYS short out . . . and no brakes!

Yikes!

I had it (the trailer) rewired several times, but it would always blow out the wiring thingy on my truck, and then the outside trailer lights, including the brake and turn signals, would work all goofy, and nobody could figure it out why it kept doing this!!!!!

Anyway, a few years back on our way to Taos, New Mexico, our friends that were following us alerted me (I have a pair of Uniden 2-ways) that the lights went out (again) on the trailer, so we pulled over to get them working.

I went into the trailer to get my volt meter and other tools . . . we pretended to know what we were doing and actually did get the lights working again . . . I put the tools back inside and away we went.

A few minutes later, a call on the 2-way from behind telling me that they just saw glass flying from the side of the trailer!

DOH!

Well, as I mentioned earlier, this was an old 1978 trailer, and it had seen it's better days long before we bought it.

A previous owner had caught the door step on something and ripped the step completely off, which had actually broken the door frame, and the door would stick, which meant you had to slam it real hard to get it closed all the way.

When I would level the trailer, I set that corner of the trailer a little high as it would relieve the pressure on the door frame so the door would open and close normally.

Apparently, I hadn't slammed it hard enough before we took off, and it flew open while on the road and smashed the glass door window.

It was raining, so I had to put a garbage bag over the door to cover the broken-out window for the rest of the drive, and I spent most of the next day (Saturday of a holiday weekend) driving around Taos looking for a glass shop.

I ended up putting plexiglass in the window from the Taos Ace Hardware!

I have a few more horror stories with that old trailer . . . I'll save those for another rainy day! :rolleyes:

Here is the old beast at the Sand Dunes National Monument in southern Colorado:

SandDunesCampsite-P8167070.jpg

brianharrison

Remember to untie the clothes line that was strung between the tree and the rear ladder - BEFORE you pull away from the campground. :)

Brian

priorguy

When I was 5 I piled all kinds of leaves on the camp fire to get the embers going on Dad's advice for a hotdog lunch. My little sister thought this was the perfect place to sit down, until the smoke started billowing. No harm came to her but we still laugh about it today.

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)

Remember to untie the clothes line that was strung between the tree and the rear ladder - BEFORE you pull away from the campground. :)

Brian

And...take down the flagpole attached to the ladder before you pull out also. If you're lucky someone will notice before you get too embarrassed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

JohnD

The Crisco Incident . . . DOH!

This also happened in our old Coachman . . .

We had discovered our favorite campground (Jack's Gulch) up Poudre Canyon in our tenting days, and boy were we excited about going up there for the first time with our (new to us) travel trailer!

The campground is about eight miles off of the main road up the side of a mountain on a dirt road with several switchbacks and lots of chatter bumps!

Of course, I'm in a hurry to get up there and all set up, so I'm haulin' @$$ up that road.

We get to the campground, pick our spot, get backed in . . . and I open the door to the camper and step in and I slip and fall flat on my back . . . almost doing the spits (and I'm not very limber)!

(Cathy laughed for what seemed at least an hour . . . :eek: , until it was time for the cleanup, of course)

Apparently the chatter bumps rattled the trailer so much that one of the cupboard doors came open and one of those round containers of Crisco flew out and when it hit the floor it exploded all over the floor of the kitchen and dinette, which was just inside the trailer door!

Lesson of that day . . . NEVER store anything like that in one of the upper cabinets!

Oh . . . after that I installed hook and loop locks (like those screen door locks) on every cupboard in that trailer! :mad:

That same road got me two more times . . . last time was on our last camp out of this year with our new Trail Runner . . . more on that later! :eek:

These are at that same campground a few years back:

Campsite-IMGP0810.jpg Campout-campsite-Dscf0069.jpg

JanAndBill

Way, way back in the old days, we bought a brand new canvas tent large enough to sleep the whole family if we crowed in real close. One of the selling features was a NO-LEAK rubberized floor that extended up each side for a piece there by preventing "outside" water from seeping up into the tent. Our first trip out was in the Smokies, and it just so happened that just after we set up it started raining. Actually that's an understatement, because it was more like the heavens opened up and poured and poured and poured!!! As we sat huddled in our tent, I remember the first thing I told the kids was "Don't touch the canvas because it will make it leak". Everytime I turned my head, they touched the canvas, till it wasn't long before it was raining "inside" the tent. That's when we found out that the same rubberized floor that kept outside water out - worked equally well in keeping the inside water in! Long story short, we spent a very uncomfortable time sitting in water being rained on, till we finally made a run for the car. At least it was dry. Next day the sun came out and we hauled all the wet gear out of the tent, hung it up and managed to get the standing water out of the tent. We still laugh about that night.

pegmikef

Totally not rv related- but you should also NOT attempt to drive the motorcycle onto the trailer unless it is attached to a vehicle.

Same thing is true for a lawn tractor and golf cart . . .as I found out . . .

JanAndBill

Our son and daughter in law have just purchased their very first ever trailer and are as wet behind the ears as newborn babes. Yesterday son was attempting to back up to hook up while his DW directed him. She stopped him because the tongue was to low. No problem he told her, just use the jack (manual screw type with the handle on top) to jack up the tongue. After a couple of minutes of no activity, he asked her what the problem was. Whereupon she replied "I can't get the jack lever to go up and down - it just moves sideways". To his credit he patiently showed her how turning the handle sideways clockwise or counter clockwise would raise or lower the tongue. My wife and I were blessed with the sweetest daughter in law that you could ever want, but sometimes she does have her moments!! :p

JohnD

My wife and I were blessed with the sweetest daughter in law that you could ever want, but sometimes she does have her moments!! :p

We call those 'blond moments' at our house, since both my wife and step daughter are both 'clinically' blond!

And both have been known to have been 'clinical' from time to time! :p

JohnD

A camping night night for me to never forget . . .

Yup, but as uncomfortable as that night was, wouldn't trade the memories for anything.

Ironically, back in our tent days (late 1990's) we were camping up in the Medicine Bow Mountains near Centennial, Wyoming . . .

I had (and still have out in the garage somewhere) a 5" B&W battery powered TV and had bought a 12-pack of 3/2 beer from the local liquor store (the store smaller than the bed of my pick-up truck) . . .

After searching for an hour for a TV station, I was overly excited that not only had I found a TV station up there in the mountains at 10,000+ feet above sea level while everyone else had gone to bed and I was still trying to keep the camp fire going . . . but I had also found that Star Trek Deep Space 9 was coming on RIGHT NOW!

I also had a bottle of whiskey, so drank about half of that . . . then drank three 3/2 beers really fast (looking for that high altitude buzz :p:mad::p ) . . . don't forget, still very upbeat about finding any Star Trek up here in the mountains!

The opening of the show went on . . . I did another shot or two . . . or three . . . or four . . . I really don't remember . . . THeN DOwnED ThE ResT OF 1 Of THozE sIx-PacKs!

wHOooO . . . yEaH!
:angel:

GrEaT! ALL is GooD! . . .

STAR TREK . . . YEAH!

Or so I thought . . .

Well, after the opening of the show with the credits, the Star Trek Deep Space 9 theme song followed by a Star Trek salute and all . . . and then there were a few commercials . . . and as I was getting all fired up about having some Star Trek while camping, I had another shot or two, then another sip or three from the cold beer and the bottle of whiskey while the commercials were playing . . .

WE INTERUPT THIS PROGRAM FOR SOME BREAKING NEWS. . .

This was the night that Princess DI was killed in that tragic car accident that we all know about . . .

And that was all that was on all night, and I, of course (being a former news man) had to stay up all night and watch all of the coverage until the sun came up!

Needless to say . . . I was pretty worthless the next day . . . :p