Fulltiming in a TT

TXSWICK

Is there anyone fulltiming in a travel trailer. Its just the 2 of us and some of the travel trailers look pretty good on space and storage. We will be upgrading from an MPG 185. The fifth wheels look pretty large and a little too much space.

Is there anyone fulltiming in a travel trailer. Its just the 2 of us and some of the travel trailers look pretty good on space and storage. We will be upgrading from an MPG 185. The fifth wheels look pretty large and a little too much space.

Welcome to the full time lifestyle. We just started this adventure in April of this year. We had a 31ft TT that we loved except for the queen bed. Sunnybrook 301RBS was the model. You will get different opinions on this but it just wasn't big enough for us to live in as full timers. There is always a trade off when making a change. We are now settling in to our BC3650RL and finding out just how much interior storage we had in the TT. I gain underneath and lost some on the inside. Of course we gained more living and open space. There are smaller and light 5'ers out there that might just fulfill your needs without having to go the large heavy route. Good luck in your search for the one that will fit your needs.

RuralPastor

There are many who full time in a TT. I guess it comes down to size preference, the amount of storage one desires/needs, and budget.

KaosAD

I full time with my dog in a TT and friends that stay on the weekends, it's a 31 footer. I've been living like this for over a year and love it. I have plenty of storage in my trailer. All my tools I keep in my truck, I have a cap on my bed. The perk is if I break down or any of my buddys do while we are on the trails, all my tools are close at hand. I went with a TT because I didn't want to spend more to heat or cool the RV. In southern Utah cooling a RV can be a chore. Same thing goes if I'm in Montana a little longer than usual, heating becomes a chore, in my TT my bills stay low. The biggest plus for me is getting back into those beautiful quiet spots tucked way in the back at national parks and BLMs where you just can't fit a fiver.

Some will argue that you have more room in a fiver. RVs come in different lengths with a choice of how many slides but they are only 8 foot wide. It boils down to how much head room you want, I'm 6'4" and have no problem in my TT. IMHO, the only differences between a fiver and TT are, where you store your stuff, head room, and pin vs equalizer hitches. I say go for it, get out there and start having fun and in a year or two you can always trade up.

Disclaimer, this is only an opinion.

Last edited:

TXSWICK

Thanks to all of you. You have all said the things I wanted and needed to hear. This forum is a perfect source for great info. Again, thanks to all of you.

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
We are in a fiver now, but we started in a 33 foot TT...it was an SOB and did not hold up to full time living...but many I have seen recently seem better constructed.