General Trailer

TGLBWH

North Central Region Directors-Retired
While visiting General Trailer to thank them for there continued support of the HOC (door prizes, etc.) for our recent and past rallies, I was informed that they may no longer be able to help us. The manager told me he had just received a memo last week that they would no longer be a Heartland Dealer. He wouldn't go into great detail about the reasons as to why although he insinuated that it had to do with service issues on Heartland's end. Also said he hopes they work it out and bring Heartland back

Bobby A

Yes, that would be a shame as I have a General RV dealership about 5 miles away from our campground in MI. and they have always done good work for me.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
But do they intend to turn away past customers with HLs? Being way out of warranty, any repairs or service I need are covered by Mr. Cash.

TGLBWH

North Central Region Directors-Retired
He didn't yet know of service arrangements, if any. I have a General Trailer 3 miles from home and they always have given me great service even though I didn't buy my unit there. I also wonder about Heartland exposure in our area since General is so dominant. He did say the Wixom store is moving to a larger facility (Wixom Ford Plant) and they are expanding stores in Utah, Chicago and adding a store in the Tampa Florida area plus expanding there other Florida store. Seems like a loss to Heartland

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Re: General Trailer . . .

I'm originally from Michigan (Jackson . . . where the prison is :D was) . . .

I was into boating and owned a house on a lake before we moved to Colorado 18 years ago.

Anyway, this is not good news as it is bad when a dealership and the manufacturer can't get along.

My Trail Runner is one year and one week old today (purchased September 11, 2012).

While we've had several issues with our new trailer, our dealership has been great at working out the issues, while Heartland, on the other hand, has been for the most part good, but have balked on a few small things (to them), but to someone who just dropped tens of thousands of dollars on the biggest brand new item we've ever purchased, these little things seem huge!

We've used our new trailer five times in that year, and found a few old issues that had already been fixed had reared their ugly heads again, and a couple of new issues that popped up!

We were close enough (one week) to the one year anniversary of the purchase, and at first it looked like Heartland was not going to cover these things.

After a couple of phone calls back and forth . . . the dealership said these things would be taken care of!

I was going to take the camper up to the dealership last Thursday, but that was the same day that all the flooding started here in Colorado, and since it was raining so hard I decided to stay home.

Glad I did!

Yesterday at work I was talking to a customer from out of town and somehow we started talking about RV'ing.

Turns out the he and I were in the same campground at the same time up in Custer, South Dakota back in August . . . pretty cool!

We were talking about the flooding and he said that when they drove by my dealership on I-25 that the lot was completely flooded and the water was over the top of the trailer tires.

Guess I'm glad I didn't have our trailer there . . .

I've tried contacting them several times and left a voice mail, but haven't heard back from them yet.

On the news a few minutes ago they announced that the road there had just reopened today, so I might get in touch with them soon!

I'm just hoping that they didn't get too much damage as a lot of homes and businesses in that area have been completely destroyed.

We live about 20 miles south of there and on high ground, so we didn't get any damage at our house, but a lot of the low-lying areas around us have been flooded.

Last night on my way home from work I drove through one of the areas that I usually drive, but has been closed off since last weekend, and at one farmhouse their 5th-wheel trailer had been completely spun around from where it was normally parked beside their house, and was laying on it's side up against a tree and it looked like the water was at least three feet deep all around the grounds, trailer, house and barns.

Maybe I'll drive by there today and snap a shot of it.

kowAlski631

Hope all is well with your trailer. Our prayers are with everyone in Colorado. Our daughter-in-law is from the Denver area, so she has family throughout the state.
Regarding the work on your trailer, have you personally spoken with HL? Guess I'm a control freak, but I like to hear why there might be an issue with a repair from the entity responsible for the decision. Just my 2 cents worth.
Martha