Jack knife sofa replacement

I'm hoping someone may have some insight. We have a 2011 M21 and we are thinking of replacing the jack knife sofa (which we don't really utilize) with one of those wall-hugging recliner sofas. I'm just not sure of how difficult this will be. I'm fairly handy with small projects but I don't want to spend hours on this. If anyone has any ideas I would really appreciate it, and feel free to send an email to my personal address.

Thanks, Phil Johnson

Chumbly

I recently replaced our bench/bed with two recliners. It was alot of work and took alot of fitting and refitting. I think that the biggest problem you would have is that the plywood base is so high off of the floor...and don't even think of cutting it out, that's where the gears, etc. of the slide out sit. If I was to do it again, I think I would simply rework the uncomfortable sofa. Good luck, either way.

evolvingpowercat

I know its not optimal, but I use one of the long body pillows so that I can have something against my lower back to give me support when sitting on the Edge Jack Knife Sofa. I think I am going to take this to the next level and make some rectangular back cushions that will support me up my back a higher distance than the body pillows I use now currently do.

To Chumbly and evolvingpowercat: thanks for your responses. I should have looked before I leaped--I didn't realize that the base of the sofa is part of the slide out. I think I'll just go with the long cushion idea.

Again, thanks.

Chumbly

My problem was mostly with the base part of the sofa, especially at the front. I looked inside the seat bottom and found basically an aluminum frame, with what looks like box straps between the front and back frame, and covered with some light foam on top. If I was to rework this seat, I think I'd take the box strapping off install some lawn chair webbing and cover that with some memory foam and put it back into the factory covering. Don't know how that'd work, but anything has got to be better than the factory setup. I was completely surprised by the cheaped out construction of this seat.