Hot Water Value

We took our 3400 to a dealer for a determination of a minor leak. We picked up our unit and drove 50 miles and set up for the winter. Upon connected city water, we tested our faucet pressure. Cold ran OK, but no water on the hot side (kitchen, shower, bath). Do I need to fill the hot water tank? Is their a value that was turned off? If so, where do I find it to turn on the hot water.

nhunter

I would think one of the water heater bypass valves are set incorrectly. In my 3600 they are on the back of the heater. There is three valves. You need to open the ones on the top and bottom lines from the heater and shut the valve on the line that crosses between the other two lines.

katkens

Founding Illinios Chapter Leader-retired
If you take the screws out of the panel in the storage compartment the valves are behind it. I have 3 screws in the docking station left side that also has to be removed to gain access. ....Ken

I think I understand what you are saying about the bypass. Is this the reason I have NO water running from the hot water side, not just no hot water?

SmokeyBare

If there is no water in the Hot Water Heating Tank.... and the Switch for the Electric has been turned on... this will probably cause the heating element to burn out.... Mayyyyyyybeeee

vangoes

Slarsenkem,
You should still have water flowing out of your hot water faucets. The bypass valve just "bypasses" the hot water tank so you do not have to fill it with antifreeze (12 gallons worth) before pumping it into the water line. If its not flowing your lines will not be protected.

I'm now confused--If the water heater is bypassed, I understand why I won't have hot water--but does that mean No water will running thru the hot water faucets. As in my case, I have NO water flowing thru the hot water side

ChopperBill

Without giving it a great deal of thought I would guess it is possible with the right combo of valves turned the wrong way no water would go through the hot water lines.

snuffy

If the valve is closed between the hot and cold side (which is the bypass) and the cold input valve to the water heater is closed, then no water will go into the water heater or come out of it. That is your problem exactly.

truknutt

Committed Member
slarsenkim said:
I'm now confused--If the water heater is bypassed, I understand why I won't have hot water--but does that mean No water will running thru the hot water faucets. As in my case, I have NO water flowing thru the hot water side

Here is a link to some very basic photos that may help you comprehend the system without actually seeing it:

http://www.rverscorner.com/RV_Water_Heater_Bypass_Systems.html

I also believe as "nhunter" stated, that one of your valves is in the wrong position.

If you can't picture it, it sure can be confusin'...

Hope this helps

snuffy
You were absolutely correct. Opened the values and water was flowing thru the faucets. Thanks-- Being a newbie I get overly anxious about things that are not working. You folks provide a great comfort. I look forward to the rallies.

snuffy

slarsenkim said:
snuffy
You were absolutely correct. Opened the values and water was flowing thru the faucets. Thanks-- Being a newbie I get overly anxious about things that are not working. You folks provide a great comfort. I look forward to the rallies.

We've all been there. But don't open all of them for normal operation or your hot won't be right. The valve between the hot and cold should be closed for normal operation. For winterizing, open the valve between the hot and cold and close the other two. That will keep any water or antifreeze from getting into the water heater. And as someone else pointed out, make sure the breaker is off to the water heater before draining.
I must admit envy of the 3400RL.

snuffy

Heartland service told me to face all the values in the same direction which means they are are turned --> Which if my limited mehanical knowledge serves me, running the same direction of the piping with the exception of the bypass which runs I-->