Looking for good bike carrier for front of Elkridge 5th wheel

CeeCee

Hi,
We're looking for a good bike carrier for either the front of our truck or the front of our 5th wheel. Anyone have one on the front of their 5th wheel & how does it attach?
Thanks

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I have mounted a 2" receiver on my Trail Air pin box. Many others have done the same thing
Member 'Alf' has a different set up on his pinbox.
It can be done. If you have the equipment you can do it yourself, if not have someone else weld something up for you.

Peace
Dave

Attachments

• Bike Rack RS2.jpg
    Bike Rack RS2.jpg
    282.8 KB · Views: 103
  • Bike Rack RS.jpg
    Bike Rack RS.jpg
    229.5 KB · Views: 95

sengli

I just bought a 2" hitch that bolted to the front of the truck using the bumper bolts. It was a no drill option, was quick and easy, plus the bikes are easily accessible.

CeeCee

I just bought a 2" hitch that bolted to the front of the truck using the bumper bolts. It was a no drill option, was quick and easy, plus the bikes are easily accessible.

How much weight can it hold? I have a bike carrier that holds up to 4 bikes & slides into a 2" hitch but it is heavy & that is without the bikes. But I would like to try your setup it sounds like the easiest.

CeeCee

I really like that idea. We'll have to look at the front of our truck - it's a 2012 Ford F250. What make truck is yours mounted on?

Lance & Jo

Like Dave I made this one for the Trail Air pin box but had an earlier version mounted on the original Lippert box. Both were easy to make and the bikes ride great this way.2. Bike Rack.JPG

CeeCee

Lance,
We can't see our pin box - it has a white plastic cover over it. I know we will have to cut a hole in it to attach a bike carrier. How does the carrier attach?? Do you have to weld it on or can it bolt on??

sengli

My truck is a silveradoDSCF0370.JPGDSCF0372.JPG 3500HD, I got the hitch from etrailer.com. It says it good for like 2500lbs or something. It was $160 or so I think. They had several brands on the site, and again I only intend on using it for the bike rack which I already had. It was set up for 2" so its. I originally had that factory installed rear 1.25" receiver on the back of our big horn, and it just flexes so much with two bikes on it, well that is another story. Anyway when the rack is not installed, the reciever is hardly noticable.