Suburban oven will not keep pilot flame on

wonsibes

Have been trying to cook a meat loaf for four hours. Thought it was done the first time but the oven went out while cooking. The pilot light lights, I wait for the the entire flame to come on, adjust the temperature and close the door. It cooks a bit then I hear the flame popping out. I have rest it several times. This is a new oven and the RV is only three weeks old. Now I have a meat loaf that I can not cook and will have to throw out. Any suggestions.

danemayer

Hi wonsibes,

The first think I'd check would be the propane supply.

If it's not 100 degrees out, try running the furnace to see how that does. It's the most demanding propane device and if you have a problem with propane supply, it should show up quickly on the furnace.

If one tank is nearly empty, make sure the other tank hasn't had it's overflow protection device triggered by opening the valve too quickly. Close it, count to 20, reopen the valve very slowly.

TXTiger

You said that the RV is only 3 weeks old. I believe that Heartland ships with empty propane tanks. Perhaps the dealer didn't fill them completely?

DonnyB007

Whenever I hookup new tanks after the tank has emptied, I go around and make sure all propane fed devices are off, like the furnace. If say, the furnace is left on inside the trailer, the potential is there for your external propane regulator not to have a chance to reset itself to the new pressure and you would get low propane pressure.

Once you are sure all propane devices are off inside the trailer, go ahead with your propane tank switch OR just an unattachment/ reattachment of your propane regulator hookup. Once you have the newly filled tank or your existing tank online again with your propane - my instructional manual stated to wait a full minute before turning on any propane device inside your trailer. The situation you talk about happened to me once, and I went through the above steps, and all was well after that.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Try lighting the burners on the stove. If they work OK, then maybe there is a problem with the oven. Normally, if the gas has been off for an extended period, the easiest way to clear the lines of air IS to light a stove burner.

RuralPastor

I would check to make sure the pilot light is adjusted correctly so that it is flaming the capillary tube sensor from the gas valve. Ours was doing the same thing as yours and this corrected it. It was just a very quick adjustment.

Fireslyer

I would check to make sure the pilot light is adjusted correctly so that it is flaming the capillary tube sensor from the gas valve. Ours was doing the same thing as yours and this corrected it. It was just a very quick adjustment.

How did you adjust it, my stove is the same way I just thought it was **** equipment from Suburban?

Last edited by a moderator:

stevenssr

I also recommend crawling under the slide and seeing if the flexible line going from the trailer to the slide out is pinched (assuming your oven is in a slide). On mine it was and I had it replaced under warranty. Now it isn't pinched and they tie wrapped it up so that it won't get pinched when opening and closing the slide. I wasn't experiencing low flow to the oven but I easily could have with the gas line pinched/folded over the way it was. I thought this might be worth a check. Good luck!

bdunker

How did you adjust it, my stove is the same way I just thought it was **** equipment from Suburban?
I have had this problem off and on for what seems forever, 3 years actually, the pilot was difficult to light and frequently went out sometimes causing odors of propane leak. I removed the gas line to the pilot assembly, and found that the manufacturer had installed the line with a cap in place that was shipped on the line to prevent dust etc. from causing problems, pilot now functions normally and is a lot easier to light, my rig is a 2012. I beleive it is a 7/16 wrench required to remove the line from the pilot assembly and then tapping the assembly caused the cap to fall out, about the size of a pencil eraser in diameter with an indentation for the line, it fits perfectly over the end of the input line. problem solved, wife happy.

I had this same problem with the oven in our 2014 North Trail. It was supposedly fixed under warranty in the fall of 2013. Our dealer told me when they "fixed" it that if we continued to have problems they would take care of it. Have had the same issues throughout 2014. We finally just stopped trying to use the oven, which irks me. And, our dealer (Great Lakes RV) in Elkhart has gone out of business. Can anyone tell me how to adjust the thermocouple so that the oven burner stays lit?