What ladder do you carry on your 5'er

murry135

New York Chapter Leaders - retired
Looking to buy a ladder to travel with our 5er. So what do my fellow HOC members reccomend and why? Getting ready to spend some money at Hershey Show and want the right one.

MTPockets

I have the 7 ft. step ladder that folds square that I got at Camping World. For storage, I have the square PVC post cover inside the basement. The ladder slips right into this without interfering with other storage. The PVC cover could also be mounted outside on the underbelly out of the way, but I haven't felt the need to do that yet.

klindgren

Retired Virginia Chapter Leaders
I also have the 7ft ladder that folds into a square from Camping World. What I do not have YET is the square pvc post cover like MTPockets. But I sure like that idea and will be adding that before I hit the road again. Thanks MT

Lance & Jo

I carry an 8 ft step ladder that I already had so price was right and mounting only took a couple hours to put togather.1. Ladder.JPG

ILH

I have the 7 ft. step ladder that folds square that I got at Camping World. For storage, I have the square PVC post cover inside the basement. The ladder slips right into this without interfering with other storage. The PVC cover could also be mounted outside on the underbelly out of the way, but I haven't felt the need to do that yet.

I'm having trouble picturing how the PVC works with the ladder in the basement. Pictures please!

sengli

I just have a regular 6' ladder from home slipped into the basement on its side. I wouldn't use the rear ladder on the coach on a bet. I weigh about 240.

MTPockets

I'm having trouble picturing how the PVC works with the ladder in the basement. Pictures please!
I've not been able to post pics, but go to Lowes or Home Depot and the fence section. The PVC post cover is 4 or 5 inches square and 8 ft long. I cut off about 10" and just lay it on the basement floor. The ladder fits inside the square PVC.

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
We use a Werner multi-position, 17' extention ladder...it is EXTREMELY sturdy and folds down small enough to be placed in the truck bed behind the hitch, even when we are towing....doesn't get in the way at all...takes up no room in cargo bay and don't have to hang it on the ladder. Best we've ever owned....got it at Lowes.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member

I'm thinking his ladder folds with the rungs on pivots so the beams on each side come together. Something akin to what we FF's call an attic ladder.

MTPockets

I've not been able to post pics, but go to Lowes or Home Depot and the fence section. The PVC post cover is 4 or 5 inches square and 8 ft long. I cut off about 10" and just lay it on the basement floor. The ladder fits inside the square PVC.
The ladder steps fold in the middle so when the ladder itself is fully collapsed, it's roughly 3" x 4" x7 ft. Long, so you slide this long piece into the square PVC tube.

hriker

I carry a little giant ladder and a 4' step ladder in the basement. The little giant has multiple configurations and is great on undeveloped ground. I use the small ladder mostly but the giant is great working on the side walls and cap. Also need that small one for inside use.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 4

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
We have a Telescoping Ladder like this... I think I found it on Amazon. There are varying quality and heights. It does flex a little when you climb it, so it's best to have an assistant holding the ladder, just in case. But it takes very little space collapsed and can lean against the coach at varying heights without marring, to look on top of slides, reach the front cap for cleaning off bugs, etc.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
We have a Telescoping Ladder like this... I think I found it on Amazon. There are varying quality and heights. It does flex a little when you climb it, so it's best to have an assistant holding the ladder, just in case. But it takes very little space collapsed and can lean against the coach at varying heights without marring, to look on top of slides, reach the front cap for cleaning off bugs, etc.

That's what I have.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
We always carry a 6 foot folding ladder that folds flat. At times we have carried the Little Giant (as seen on TV) ladder. It will fit in the back of the pickup while hitch to the 5er and opens to a number of positions.

Theresau

Thanks for the info on this ladder. General RV here in Wixom had one of these on display. So far we've found the best price on the internet us $129 with free shipping. We'll start by just placing it in the basement but plan to eventually get the PVC and attach underneath. Can you get the PVC in black?

The ladder steps fold in the middle so when the ladder itself is fully collapsed, it's roughly 3" x 4" x7 ft. Long, so you slide this long piece into the square PVC tube.

Gizzy

If that price is for a 7 ft ladder I would jump on it fast. I would not buy the 6 ft ladder, the 7 ft is worth the extra money and makes a big difference when trying to reach areas high on the coach (like cleaning bugs off the front cap). Just my opinion.

Thanks for the info on this ladder. General RV here in Wixom had one of these on display. So far we've found the best price on the internet us $129 with free shipping. We'll start by just placing it in the basement but plan to eventually get the PVC and attach underneath. Can you get the PVC in black?

pegmikef

We use a Werner multi-position, 17' extention ladder...it is EXTREMELY sturdy and folds down small enough to be placed in the truck bed behind the hitch, even when we are towing....doesn't get in the way at all...takes up no room in cargo bay and don't have to hang it on the ladder. Best we've ever owned....got it at Lowes.

Yeah, I was just looking at those today at Lowes (Werner MT-17) and thought it might use up too much space in the basement, but if it will fit behind the hitch I may just go buy it. It was priced at 159.00 and I can get a 10 percent discount so that is a good price.