Has anyone installed the new style AirLift bags?

taken

So, was considering some air bags to kill the porpoising I get on the wonderful interstate bridges in my state when towing heavy. I never thought of getting them before as the truck sits level with 3200 or so of pin weight on it but my recent post about spring fatigue on the FTE forums got me thinking about some help back there. I see there are three kits out there. One from Firestone and two from Airlift (with and without an internal jounce bumper.) I really liked the idea on the one with the internal bumper as you can leave the bag completely empty without fear of damage. Since I'll only run air in them 3-5 times a year when towing the toyhauler, that would be convenient rather than maintaining 5lbs in the ones without the bumpers.

My concern is this. I wrote to the tech guy "Mike" at AirLift and asked about this application. My worry was I didn't want the bumper to come into contact on rough/bumpy roads when the bag was empty and jolt the rear end. I have noticed this in the past when the helper springs do the same and didn't want to double up on the jolting/bumping. Mike thought this might be a real worry and suggested I stay with the standard bags with no bumpers for the smoothest/stock like ride while unloaded and aired down.

So, has anyone actually installed the new style with the internal bumpers? If so, do you feel the bumpers bottom over bumps and get a jolt while aired down? Any experience with these would be appreciated.

hoefler

Porpoising is a teeter totter effect using the rear axle as the pivot point, common when towing a fifth wheel with a short bed truck, since the hitch usually is placed directly over or just behind the rear axle. Adding air bags will not help the situation. Moving the fifth wheel hitch forward of the rear axle will give you the most benefit by placing more weight on the front axle of the truck.

taken

Maybe I used the wrong term then. It's just the bouncing I get over really bad bumps or expansion joints in bridges. I have the factory (Reese) prep in my Ford and it is slightly in front of the axle. Anyways, air bags will prevent the over compression in this rare but annoying situation. They fixed this very issue on my 09 F250 when I had the same weight involved.

jeffdee

I installed the Firestone bags on my 2010 F250 Super Duty several weeks ago. The kit (#2550) was only $375 with free shipping. The kit I used had the bags fitted on the insides of the frame. The joust bouncers were removed during installation. It only took 2 1/2 hours working alone. It levelled the truck and really stabilized the ride. Keeping 5 psi air in each bag did not create an issue when driving unloaded. When I am hooked up to 2014 Cyclone 3110 I only need 25 psi each bag.

I am satisfied with these air bags.

Donhutch1800

I put the air lift bags on our f350 long bed truck.they work really well.they stabilize the truck a lot.we tow a 2012 San Antonio.hardly know it's back there.i would suggest buying the on board air compressor.

GOTTOYS

The new airbags with the jounce bumpers inside are really a good idea to me. I wish they would have been available when I got mine. No more need to carry 5 PSI in the when running empty. Should ride like it has no airbags at all when unloaded. I'd buy them in a heartbeat if I was in the market for set...Don