Worthless Shurflo 5.7 pump

Lynn1130

Looks like I need to replace the worthless 5900-0201 pump that Shurflo won't warranty over one year if the RV manufacturer installed it. So the question becomes which Flojet pump in a good replacement since I will never buy another Shurflo? And their customer service department could use some English speakers so you could understand them.

scottyb

I probably wouldn't have purchased another Shurflo either, in your shoes. However, mine failed at just under a year and they replaced it with a 4048, since the 5.7 Extreme Series has been discontinued. My dealings with Shurflo was a lot different than yours. They were easy to contact and helped me troubleshoot my pump to see if it was bad.

NWILSON

Kentucky Chapter Leaders - retired
Our 5900 failed at 7am on a Sunday morning last month at an antique gas engine show in Portland Indiana.
Luckily a local RV center set up a parts trailer just inside the gate to the campgrounds. They had pumps in stock and by 8:30 we had running water again.
Monday I called Shurflo and was also told that the OEM pump was only warranted for a year. When I told the Customer Service rep what had caused the problem (plastic end cap melted around the brushes causing them to stick) he said he'd send me the parts to repair it.
Within a week I received the parts and now have a spare pump to use when the next untimely failure occurs.
Sure, I'm disappointed in the short time til failure but at least Shurflo was willing to help me out a little.

Lynn1130

No offense and I am glad they could help you but that does not address the topic or question of a replacement type.

we have a 2010 cyclone 3912 and had are 5.7 pump fail a few months ago,I emailed shurflo and they told me to send them the label off the pump and when they received it they shipped me a new 4048 at no charge,trailer was 3 yrs out of warranty,they were very helpful and would not hesitate to deal with them again.

Lynn1130

Now I have to eat my words but in this case I am happy to do it. My wife says that I never give up and in the words of Don Henley I am 'always willing to take it to the wall". In this case I contacted Pentair and the contact for Shurflo pumps, directly and stated my case. They are sending out a new pump after I supply them the label from the old and a copy of my RV purchase with the date of purchase. I am a few months over the 3 year but they went the extra and made the replacement.

I understand that line level personnel most times have no latitude and going up the line will sometimes works.

Well the body count goes up another notch! My 5900-0201 failed after a year and three months! Have to contact shurflo to see what they will do to help! Of course it's oem so who knows! I will report back after getting this resolved! Wish me luck!!

NWILSON

Kentucky Chapter Leaders - retired
Well the body count goes up another notch! My 5900-0201 failed after a year and three months! Have to contact shurflo to see what they will do to help! Of course it's oem so who knows! I will report back after getting this resolved! Wish me luck!!
Politely tell them that you are aware that they have replaced many OEM pumps even after the warranty has expired and you are hoping they will afford you the same courtesy. They'll ask you to mail in the label from the pump and you'll receive a replacement in about 2 weeks.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
The Shurflo 5900-0201 has a three year warranty.
So if yours failed after 15 months, you should have no problem getting a replacement.

Peace
Dave

Lynn1130

I was told by Shurflo that it is one year on those installed by the trailer manufacturer and three if you have bought it yourself. I do not know why this is and it makes little to no sense.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I was told by Shurflo that it is one year on those installed by the trailer manufacturer and three if you have bought it yourself. I do not know why this is and it makes little to no sense.
You could be right.
I got the information off of the Shurflo web site, there was no mention of an exclusion as to who installed the pump.
It only stated 3 year warranty.

Peace
Dave

danemayer

Shurflo has probably established 2 prices: one for dealers/stores and a lower price for RV manufacturers. The higher price to the dealer/store includes longer warranty.

marvmarcy

I had the 5.7 Shurflo in my previous fiver and it was still working after 7 years when I got my new Landmark. The new one in the Landmark lasted 3mo, each 5.7 after that lasted 3 mo. The 4th failure was replaced with a 4048. The 4048 has worked well for over a year. My only problems getting replacements under warranty were with the dealer "forgetting".

porthole

Retired
The Shurflo 5900-0201 has a three year warranty.
So if yours failed after 15 months, you should have no problem getting a replacement.

Numbers - it's all about the numbers.

5900-0201 OEM - 1 year warranty
5900-0211 Aftermarket and 3 year warranty

0201 & 0211 are the same pump with different warranties.

The pump is not living up to the hype and when mine was replaced the last time it was no longer offered for warranty replacement. A new model that so far seems to have no issues across the WWW is the replacement.