Changing 3 Steps to 4 Steps

Theresau

Even though our BC has a 10" frame it is higher off the ground than our 2010 BC was. Perhaps because we upgraded axles or because of the Correct Track system????

We are changing steps to 4 - Stromberg Carlson radius. Has a 7.5" step in lieu of a 9". I tried to order the 4 steps during the build but was told I couldn't.

Will be much better...

Gizzy

We installed the 4 step just as soon as we got the coach home from the dealer. I ordered them and had them waiting. We both have bad knees and the 4 step REALLY makes a difference for us. You won't regret changing them.

Mrsfish

To those of you who have exchanged your 3step setup for the 4 step variety - did you do the work yourself or have it done by .....?

Gizzy

To those of you who have exchanged your 3step setup for the 4 step variety - did you do the work yourself or have it done by .....?

Did it myself. Wish I would have had an extra set of hands. Would have made it much easier if I would have had some help, but it was not a difficult task. Just remove the 3 step and bolt in the 4 step. I think I ordered mine from PPL motorhomes. Seemed to be the best price I could find at the time (3 yrs ago).

Theresau

Doing ourself. Stromberg Carlson steps http://www.etrailer.com/Enclosed-Trailer-Parts/Stromberg-Carlson/SM-24-40.html - purchased through eTrailer - had the best price for this set. We picked these because they are radius, powder coated and have the same install dimensions. Now that we have them, it appears they are the same as original in BC (other than 4 steps and closer together).

Garypowell

I changed mine with one person helping me and a floor jack. The biggest problem is the steps are heavy and in an awkward spot. But it took less than an hour start to finish.

MTPockets

I considered doing this but have a question, is that 4th step closer to the ground? We've been in some sites that when we need to level by raising the opposite side, our 3rd step is very close to the ground. If the 4 step is lower to begin with, it would not open all the way.

Garypowell

MT....good point. I have only used mine in storage...and it is closer to the ground. Generally in most places we go the ground seems to falls away from the site a little. But figured we'd cover that when we got out on the road again.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Something to consider when changing from 3 to 4 steps is the height of your doorstep from the ground. Not just when on a level site, but on an inclined one. If the door side is on the upslope, the design of your rig might not accommodate the added step length.

Our BH3670 has a 4 step, but our site has a slight incline with the door on the low side. So I made a platform from 4x4's with 5/4 decking to add an extra step. It's a bit wider than the steps and about 16" deep. It comes apart and is joined in the middle with bolts and wing nuts. It's heavy enough to hold the shoe scrubber mat in place, but not so heavy when disassembled to be cumbersome. Rides easily in the truck bed.

MTPockets

When we're on a site where our bottom step is a bit high, we use an aluminum step we got at camping world.

Theresau

Our bottom step is very high up reason I want to go to a 4 step. It may be because of the Correct Track. A friend of ours looked into adding the Correct Track to their Landmark and decided against it as they were told it would raise the coach 2".

Thought about adding a step or platform beneath it but the steps would continue to be 9" apart whereas yours are 7.5" - much easier. I believe house code is no more than 8". I think HL needs to rethink their ruling regarding a 4 step on a 10" frame if the coach has axles and springs upgraded as well as Correct Track. This coach is much higher than our 2010 BH was which had a 10" frame as well.

Something to consider when changing from 3 to 4 steps is the height of your doorstep from the ground. Not just when on a level site, but on an inclined one. If the door side is on the upslope, the design of your rig might not accommodate the added step length.

Our BH3670 has a 4 step, but our site has a slight incline with the door on the low side. So I made a platform from 4x4's with 5/4 decking to add an extra step. It's a bit wider than the steps and about 16" deep. It comes apart and is joined in the middle with bolts and wing nuts. It's heavy enough to hold the shoe scrubber mat in place, but not so heavy when disassembled to be cumbersome. Rides easily in the truck bed.

danemayer

The 2" extra height with Correct Track is only for the aftermarket installation. The factory build doesn't add any height.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Mrsfish

We currently have an aluminum extra step and use it 80% of the time and we dry camp a lot. It's the 9" steps that are the complaint. The way I look at it - 3 x 9= 27, 4 x 7.5= 30. I know that I have 3 inches to give so I have a more conventional step ( my back will thank me from not having to lift the 90lb rottie with a bad hip. She can do stairs, but the 9" kills her after a while and she quits). Thanks everyone for the input.

Garypowell

Also please note that not all 4 step's are a like. I decided on the strongburg-Carlson (sp?) because they had a uniform step distance. One other brand it was like 7 - 8 - 7.5.....those might not be the exact numbers but you get my point....there was a great variance in the individual step heights. Not a good thing in my opinion.

Theresau

We noted that as well. The Stromberg Carlson steps were evenly spaced as well as powder coated. And in regard to the other reply - yes it's the 9" apart that is also the issue otherwise we could have just but a platform.

Joe is replacing steps as I write this. He is using a jack that he has permanently placed a large round plate - this will hold up the steps as he is taking off old and putting on new. Uses this jack for a variety of things.

Also please note that not all 4 step's are a like. I decided on the strongburg-Carlson (sp?) because they had a uniform step distance. One other brand it was like 7 - 8 - 7.5.....those might not be the exact numbers but you get my point....there was a great variance in the individual step heights. Not a good thing in my opinion.

Gizzy

I also installed the Stromberg Carlson step support on the 4 step. I just seemed to me that there was lots of stress put on the steps, especially the bottom step, when weight was applied. By installing the support that stress is eliminated or greatly reduced. Just curious if anyone else installed this support.

Theresau

Is it variable in height? Where did you purchase?

I also installed the Stromberg Carlson step support on the 4 step. I just seemed to me that there was lots of stress put on the steps, especially the bottom step, when weight was applied. By installing the support that stress is eliminated or greatly reduced. Just curious if anyone else installed this support.