Wide right turns while towing

DesertThumper

Does anyone have a knowledge base or experience when it comes to taking both lanes to make a right turn into a single lane street or highway or narrow right turn in california and other states? When you are fully hooked up by the way. Now that we have a longer length rig setup 61 feet, our old rig set up was 53 feet combined was managable through tight right turns.. Essentially, we would need to go wide and take the second left lane to make a right. Is that legal to do? Some say yes from information i found on the net that you can do it as long as you signal ahead and move over to the center of both lanes to prevent vehicles behind you from interfering with your turn. Curious to hear your experiences. Thanks!

dhcolesj

yes, it's legal (at least in TN), as I rode with my Dad hauling gas for many years in a Semi. The reason it's legal is because it's necessary, and I see trucks do it all the time. :D
Just make sure you ALWAYS use the turn signal. If the other drivers can show you didn't, and one of them tries to cut you off, it could cause you trouble.
Dad ran over a little Pontiac Fiesta once trying to cut in on his entry to a gas station. Didn't work out well for the car. It's amazing how much 9,000 gallons of Gasoline weighs. Anyway, the guy in the car was sited for failure to yield and reckless driving. (this was in TN).

oldmannj

I assess each turn on a case by case basis. It's a necessity type of thing. "legal" I'm not sure about. Definitely safer to take the oncoming traffic lane of the road your turning into unless the lane is already occupied. I will say this, after 40 years of dragging 48 foot trailers around NEVER swing wide enough for a car to get along side you in the right lane when you're turning right. They, for the most part are brain dead drivers and pay no attention to signals or much of anything else for that matter. Above all use caution. The CDL manual says to use the opposing traffic lane of the road your turning into, however that isn't always as easy as it sounds. Hope this helps. ED. :angel:

jnbhobe

As Ed says use whatever is needed with caution, I've stopped in the middle of the road and waited till the road was clear enough to make the turn safely.

danemayer

The Texas CDL Handbook instructs to keep the rear of your vehicle close to the curb and DON'T turn wide to the left as you start the turn. I would expect since the CDL rules came out of Federal effort to standardize, there is probably similar content in other state handbooks. The relevant page is attached.

If you swing left and someone pulls up in the right lane and there's an accident while you're turning, even if it's "no fault", you'll have a badly banged up RV.

Attachments

• CDL Handbook Texas TURNS DL-7C 35.pdf
    26.8 KB · Views: 59

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
I agree with Ed's reply as well. Whatever the laws may be, safety is paramount. I usually try to line up wide enough to make the turn and not leave enough room for someone to sneak up on my right side.
I replaced the OEM tail lights with nice bright LED lights and check them before each trip. I want drivers behind me to know my plan.

wdk450

If I had my "druthers" about the taillights, I would like to have a double bright (or strobe) YELLOW signal lights for turn signals. I don't think the dull (daytime) red flashing combination signals draw enough attention from other driver's brains.

brianharrison

Bill, I agree and would love to see amber turn signal lights in the rear. My landmark has two LED lights on each side (3"round) and all 4 are wired for park/brake/turn (I think). I might considered replacing the outside ones on each side with amber LED and rewiring.�

Our regulations mandate that the park/brake be RED. Turn can be RED or AMBER.

Brian

whp4262

I've been pulling cargo, equipment and RV trailers of different sizes and lengths for many years. I try to make right hand turns as depicted in the CDL handbook but when this isn't possible because of a curb or some other obstruction. I try to hog the road as much as I can blocking the right hand lane with the back of the trailer and the left lane with the TV. I turn my turn signal on a little early and watch the bubble mirrors for the brain dead. As I make the turn the back of the trailer clears the right lane and the TV fills it.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Try to keep the rear of the trailer at least 1/2 way in the right lane. Turn on the T/Signals far in advance as you can. Just make sure that some moron has not tried to sneak in next to you before you start moving to make your turn. When I drove 18 wheelers, if they did try it, I would pin them to the curb and call the cops. However, one time they tried it to late through my turn and I smashed the car. OOOOOPS, sorry about your car as it was pinned under the trailer with the trailer tires in the trunk and the grill in a light post. I'm sure the guy could not get his underware off for at least a week. The guy I pushed backwards across a parking lot 500' is a whole nother story.

jimtoo

However, one time they tried it to late through my turn and I smashed the car. OOOOOPS, sorry about your car as it was pinned under the trailer with the trailer tires in the trunk and the grill in a light post. I'm sure the guy could not get his underware off for at least a week. The guy I pushed backwards across a parking lot 500' is a whole nother story.

Bob,,,Have you ever thought about coming to Texas??? You could stand a chance here. We are known as "The Story Telling Capital of Texas" and we have a contest every year. :)
:)
Jim M

kowAlski631

We take as much room as we need to complete our turn. We do wait for adequate room to do it, but we've also experienced the drivers who think they can "squirt through" & not get smashed. Not hit anyone, but sure there were a couple who had to return home for clean clothing.

Martha

Garypowell

Not that I can always do it but with my GPS software I plan my route to have as many left hand turns as possible. This means going around the block sometimes but it keeps me out of trouble. When I need to make a right hand turn I do cheat over into the other lane with the turn signal on as I make the turn. I think most people know what I am doing and they usually give way....usually....I don't think I remember an incident since '96.

DesertThumper

This is all great info. Thanks a million! I went ahead and ordered a "This trailer makes wide turns" decal for the back of the Fifth Wheel. Just an extra safety thing, it does not hurt but hopefully to assist the vehicles from behind wondering why is he taking up two lanes. Better safe than sorry.

TXTiger

As a lawyer in CA I have read many traffic accident reports. One which comes to mind was an accident where a motorcycle tried to pass a semi on the right that was making a right turn. The report stated that the semi had a right to use the left lane if necessary to make the turn and stated the cause of the accident was the motorcycle. Not sure of the Vehicle Code section that applies but Calif law states if its a reasonable necessity one may use the left lane when turning right.

DesertThumper

As a lawyer in CA I have read many traffic accident reports. One which comes to mind was an accident where a motorcycle tried to pass a semi on the right that was making a right turn. The report stated that the semi had a right to use the left lane if necessary to make the turn and stated the cause of the accident was the motorcycle. Not sure of the Vehicle Code section that applies but Calif law states if its a reasonable necessity one may use the left lane when turning right.

Two Toes, thanks for adding your knowledge = "Calif law states if its a reasonable necessity one may use the left lane when turning right".

alex00

Desert-

Your main Vehicle Code section to worry about will be CVC 22100. The operative language for those of us with long trailers, is "(a) Right Turns. Both the approach for a right-hand turn and a right-hand turn shall be made as close as practicable to the right-hand curb or edge of the roadway..:"

This does not mean you need to hug the curb. It actually gives you the latitude to swing wide if you need it, hence the close as practical language. If you need ten feet from the curb, you need ten feet from the curb. The rest of the section provides exceptions about turning from multiple lane roads and what not..

Your only other real concern will be a double yellow. You cannot under any circumstance cross a double yellow in your direction and remain legal. You may turn across (left or U-turn), but cannot travel in the same direction (think passing a car). If the roadway is not marked, or there is a dotted line you may travel across the line. Use as much SAFE and AVAILABLE roadway as you need to complete your turn. As long as you are not in an area that restricts kingpin to axle length, the roadways in California should accommodate your combination.

As a general rule on multiple lane turns, I always take the lane furthest from the curb or inside of the turn. It makes for a wider turn. If you accidentally get into the lane closest to the center of the road on a left hand turn with two lanes, you risk clipping the cars coming from your driver side, side swiping the cars on your passenger side, or running the trailer tires on the center island if there is one.

One of the most helpful things I did was take a bunch of cones out to a giant, empty parking lot in the middle of nowhere. I taught myself how to turn, back and park the trailer. After a few hours of turning next to a cone, you will have a great idea of how far you need to be away from the curb, and what the picture in your mirror needs to look like for a safe, close turn. Of course these are all necessary skills for those of us with trailers over 15,000 lbs in CA, since we are required to have a CDL or non-commercial A
;).

DesertThumper

Thanks everyone for all the great feed back! Alex, you mention about the 15, 000 lbs + statement. If your over that trailer weight, you will need a "CLASS A" non commercial license?

alex00

Technically, yes. In California we can tow up to 10,000 pounds on a regular class C, what most people have. With a written test, we can get the Recreational Vehicle Endorsement (Restriction 41) to tow a fifth wheel travel trailer between 10,001 and 15,000 pounds. Above 15,000 for a fifth wheel, (or 10,000 for a bumper pull) we need a Commercial A, or Non-Commercial A.

If you were to be stopped, towing above 15,000 pounds, you would face the same type of citation as if you were driving a car without a regular license or riding a motorcycle without an M1 endorsement. Bear in mind the weights are the GVWR listed on the vehicles, not the actual weight. My SOB fiver tips the scales at 99XX pounds but is rated at 10,500 requiring me to have the fiver endorsement. By the time I buy a Cyclone I'll have my Commercial license again. I am not a driver by trade, I needed the license to be legal with the last trailer I owned.

The good news is that most LEOs have no interest in stopping RVers. If you stay reasonably close to the 55 limit your chances of getting pulled over are pretty low. Even lower are getting stopped by the officer that A. wants to cite you, B. knows you need a commercial to tow your rig and C. checks your rating sticker on the trailer. Getting stopped by a CHP commercial unit, however, is likely to result in all three being met. The most likely way to end up with an issue over licensing is after an accident.

The really good news is that with a few hours of studying, a fairly simple skills test and a drive test, you can have a Non-Commercial A and be legal. The hardest part will be finding someone with a CDL or Non-Com to drive you to the test (yes, they check).

Take a look here.

DesertThumper

Technically, yes. In California we can tow up to 10,000 pounds on a regular class C, what most people have. With a written test, we can get the Recreational Vehicle Endorsement (Restriction 41) to tow a fifth wheel travel trailer between 10,001 and 15,000 pounds. Above 15,000 for a fifth wheel, (or 10,000 for a bumper pull) we need a Commercial A, or Non-Commercial A.

If you were to be stopped, towing above 15,000 pounds, you would face the same type of citation as if you were driving a car without a regular license or riding a motorcycle without an M1 endorsement. Bear in mind the weights are the GVWR listed on the vehicles, not the actual weight. My SOB fiver tips the scales at 99XX pounds but is rated at 10,500 requiring me to have the fiver endorsement. By the time I buy a Cyclone I'll have my Commercial license again. I am not a driver by trade, I needed the license to be legal with the last trailer I owned.

The good news is that most LEOs have no interest in stopping RVers. If you stay reasonably close to the 55 limit your chances of getting pulled over are pretty low. Even lower are getting stopped by the officer that A. wants to cite you, B. knows you need a commercial to tow your rig and C. checks your rating sticker on the trailer. Getting stopped by a CHP commercial unit, however, is likely to result in all three being met. The most likely way to end up with an issue over licensing is after an accident.

The really good news is that with a few hours of studying, a fairly simple skills test and a drive test, you can have a Non-Commercial A and be legal. The hardest part will be finding someone with a CDL or Non-Com to drive you to the test (yes, they check).

Take a look here.

Great information! What a great job in breaking it down for us. I'm sure this will be useful for others that may not know the regulations. Now having all the necessary information including yours on hand, it is best to get compliant with a "Class A Non Commercial License" to be put in place. I am sure I am not the only one going through this process. To bad there is not a service out there that can assist with driving our vehicle and trailer to DMV. What a pain.... Or I may do this for now: The good news is that most LEOs have no interest in stopping RVers. If you stay reasonably close to the 55 limit your chances of getting pulled over are pretty low. Most people I talk to recently said the same thing.