How do you get something repaired on the road?

tljack

We have a 2014 Bighorn 3570RS. We are on the road for 6 to 8 months. Our vacuum system quit working (tried all the basics to fix) as well as some other minor issues. Called Heartland and got the name of the closest dealer to us to inquire about looking at the unit. That dealer told the soonest they could "squeeze us in" would be over 2 weeks from now. We can live without the vacuum system but am thinking, what if we had a more significant problem? Obviously these units have breakdowns all of the time. We are currently in Montana and need to get out of the state before it starts getting really cold so can not hang around for 2 weeks or more. I am interested in learning how others handle this kind of situation.

Theresau

We've noted quite a few use mobile techs - they come to the campsite.

We used a mobile tech for replacement of our two ACs - would have had to wait weeks otherwise. Considering coach was new, Dometic agreed to pay the mobile tech service calls as well as for the warranty work done.

GOTTOYS

Break out the toolbox or go to an independent shop after getting Heartlands' approval. In my opinion most dealer service facilities are a waste of time..Don

tljack

I got out my volt/ohm meter and did some poking around. They are 2 contacts in the hose plug in area that when the metal ring on the actual hose is inserted makes a complete circuit. How much voltage should I have here? I have none. Is the voltage 120 or 12?

kowAlski631

We've had a couple of items needing attention when Paul could not fix. We've had good results asking the campground office for a recommendation. If it's a warranty item, then a call to HL telling them what's going on will work.

Subdrv

I got out my volt/ohm meter and did some poking around. They are 2 contacts in the hose plug in area that when the metal ring on the actual hose is inserted makes a complete circuit. How much voltage should I have here? I have none. Is the voltage 120 or 12?

I just checked mine it shows .7 volt dc.

marvmarcy

There is minimal voltage at those pins. My vac is working and there is less than a volt at those pins. I would first pull the bay wall panel to get to the vac and see if there is 120V to it. If it has power, then unscrew the hose port and check for wire problems there.

Where in MT are you? There are mobile rv services in my area of western MT.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Think of those two pins as a switch on the wall in your house. There is current, 12 volts in this case, to one pin. The other pin goes to the relay in the vacuum.
When you plug your hose in it is like turning on the switch. It completes the circuit.
There is no neutral to show 12 volts.
The first thing you need to do is verify that the vac is still plugged in.
What brand is the vacuum?

Peace
Dave

Birchwood

When our vac quit I called the vac company and told them the symptoms and they sent sent me a new one.Installed it myself and the problem was solved.I have got the same line from dealers as you but they no longer have my business.We live in our Landmark and expect sameday service and that's what we get.

tljack

I appreciate all of the replies! We are currently in Polson, planning to leave to MSLA in the morning. Have been calling around to mobile repair services. The unit is a Eureka, Yellow Jacket. I took part of the access covers off to see it is was plugged in and found the cord goes somewhere to the left of the unit behind the storage bay. The main unit is on the right side. It was working perfectly the last time my wife used it. I guess when we get to MSLA I will open things up and try to locate the power source.

danemayer

It may be plugged into the same outlet as the Power Converter. You might want to check the circuit breakers to see if maybe it's tripped. Sometimes it's hard to see that a breaker has tripped. You might want to flip the converter breaker off and on.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
HERE IS A LINK to a post by member Porthole.
He had a problem with his not turning off. Yours may be related.

Peace
Dave

tljack

It may be plugged into the same outlet as the Power Converter. You might want to check the circuit breakers to see if maybe it's tripped. Sometimes it's hard to see that a breaker has tripped. You might want to flip the converter breaker off and on.
The breaker is ok. The vacuum is plugged into the same outlet as the converter. This outlet registered 118 volts. I also tried to use the intake port in the storage bay. I talked to Heartland this morning and explained the situation to them. After answering all of his questions I was told that I will be getting a new unit.