Range/Exterior vent hood . Flap tabs broke second time

MTPockets

The little tab on the vent flap broke off about 9 months ago, and I had to purchase the whole vent cover as the flap itself is not sold separately. No big deal to replace, but now it has broken again. I always latch it before we leave a site and it was latched when we arrived here at the Colorado Rally. When I unlatched it, the flap simply fell out. Questions: 1) Anyone else have this problem? 2) Does anyone know if there is a better quality exterior vent cover that would fit? Those tiny little tabs break off - would be nice if it was better made.... If not, Maybe I'll just buy two so I have a spare.

jimtoo

Mine broke also.. I used 3 of the very small zip ties to tie the flap to the wire?? or what ever it is that it pivots on ,, I forgot,,, that was over 4 years ago and it was still there when we traded it.
Drill holes in flap and reattach.. worked for me. Think I had to trim corners where the latches secure it for travel. :)

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
A very common problem, this plastic this company uses does not hold up, gets brittle and can break the tabs off the flap with simple road vibration. I think I've replaced ours at least 3 times.

I did find the flap separately one time, but in trying to install, managed to break the tab again!

I found a tip here on the forum to superglue a finishing nail to the flap in place of the plastic tab. That worked for about 9 mo, and then we forgot and left it open. 350 miles later, no flap.

Have replaced with another spare flap already "fixed" with the nails. So far so good.

I was hoping to change the vent to the new style HL is using, but the factory reps at Goshen told me they don't fit the same hole. :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

ICamel

Lost mine too in the first year. Had a piece of lexan laying around that I cut to the vent cover size. I then attached a straight piece of metal clothes hanger (cut to size) to the new vent cover top edge using duct tape and JB-Weld. Painted it white to match the vent housing. No worries now as those tabs are never going to break off. The most difficult part was taking the housing out, putting the vent cover in, and then putting the housing back in.

happykraut

You might consider installing the new type vent made by B&B Molders. My 2014 Bighorn came with this new style vent. They have been tested up to 190mph winds. The mfr says it is OK to travel with the vent open. After I posted this on another thread, it was pointed out that this is not a direct replacement. You may want to call HL and discuss this replacement with them.

TravelTiger

You might consider installing the new type vent made by B&B Molders. My 2014 Bighorn came with this new style vent. They have been tested up to 190mph winds. The mfr says it is OK to travel with the vent open. After I posted this on another thread, it was pointed out that this is not a direct replacement. You may want to call HL and discuss this replacement with them.

I don't think it will fit, according to what HL told me the hole for the vent in the wall is not the same size.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
I used the finishing nail fix but attach them with aluminum flashing tape. They're still in place after a few years. I've heard of a bullet proof replacement but I'll have to do some Goggling.:cool:

MTPockets

So am I to conclude from this that a problem has been identified not unique to me, that the factory has corrected on new units, but no solution for the rest of us? "Yeah, that was a bad design that we corrected, but you are out of luck" . Arrrrrrg

TravelTiger

So am I to conclude from this that a problem has been identified not unique to me, that the factory has corrected on new units, but no solution for the rest of us? "Yeah, that was a bad design that we corrected, but you are out of luck" . Arrrrrrg

Well, I guess enough people complained or had it breaking in the first year that HL decided to find another vendor for these vents. There appear to be three different main brands of range vents, and none of them are the same size. It appears the openings need to be bigger for others to work.

MTPockets

Personally, I think it is pretty neat that HL recognized a problem and fixed it.
Sure, you are with the new rig - congrats... You are right about that, but how does that help all the rest of us? I'm by no means suggesting a free fix, just offer me a solution. We get ideas from other members, and that's good, but tape, glue, ignoring, isn't always the best solution.