Rusty Frame

ChopperBill

Before I took ours down to AZ I was under it and found the the frame and components were pretty rusty. Particularly the bolts and and hardware to adjust the slides. I was going to give myself a project when we go down there in a few weeks and paint the bad parts. You folks have a secret paint (spray can) that can be used without doing any prep work. Wire brushing all the rust off is not what I want to do while I am suppose to be relaxing.

katkens

Founding Illinios Chapter Leader-retired
I have used Permatex Extend Rust Treatment and had good results. I wire brushed the worst off and wiped dust off with a rag , then brushed it on and let dry. It goes on white ,then turns black as it kills the rust , then I use Krylon paint an primer , cause it dries faster than Rustoleum. It can generally be found at the hardware and autopart chains stores....Ken

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
rust

Retired4fun, try "mar-hyde one step" costs about $10 per can. This what our painter in the body shop uses. Clean the area best you can, spray it on and sand it. It turns the rust to sandable primer. After you sand it, put some paint on the areas, let the paint dry, and then spray them with "3M" paintable undercoating. Comes in a spray can, about $4 a can. Should stop the rusting. Note you can spray the "3M" on anything that has paint on it and you can paint over it. Bob :D :D

ChopperBill

Thanks! I didn't know if these "magic" spray just covered the rust until it started to rust through or "kill" the rust. Will go to Ace Hardware in Parker and get some of that stuff.