Cyclone 4100 and 3/4 ton truck?

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
No, I'm not buying. But I overheard a salesman at the RV show tell a young couple with kids that they could use their 3/4 ton pickup to pull a Cyclone 4100!!

I hope if they find this forum that those of you who own a 4100 can set the record straight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Some sales people will say anything to sell a product. They aren't the ones having to get injured when the overloaded truck goes out of control. But on the other hand there are many many 3/4 ton pickups pulling rigs that they shouldn't.

recumbent615

Founding MA Chapter Leader-retired
I was told some very tall tails by sales folks when I was looking for my Rig - some were outright lies in my opinion and others were stretching the truth more that a little. When I was looking at Rigs I actually only can remember when one sales man in Florida - flat out told me - " you can not tow this with that truck - no matter what anyone says - Dry and empty you are overweight!" so there is at least one honest sales man out there !!! Maybe only one - but I found the one.

Kevin

DW_Gray

Erika, I would have stayed around till I could have met that family alone. I don't trust any sales person because none I have tested knew what they were talking about. My last test location was in Denton, TX and he too said I could tow the 4100 with a 3/4 ton. Then I introduced myself and gave him my business card along with a few stern words. Hmm... maybe I should start a new website.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Erika, I would have stayed around till I could have met that family alone. I don't trust any sales person because none I have tested knew what they were talking about. My last test location was in Denton, TX and he too said I could tow the 4100 with a 3/4 ton. Then I introduced myself and gave him my business card along with a few stern words. Hmm... maybe I should start a new website.

Dave, I did lurk, hoping to get a chance... You really see how big those things are, outside!

I don't think they were ready for the purchase just yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Last edited:

HornedToad

More people believed that salesman than you think...
every week tailgating I see at least a dozen 3/4 ton trucks pulling triple axle toy haulers!!!

ramdually4100king

We knew more about the trailer then the sales men did when we bought our 4100. We had been researching trailers for a couple months. The salesmen just stood by taking notes when we picked it out.

On a side note. When we were in a campground outside yellowstone we watched a tundra pull in with a 30+ft fifth wheel. This is before we decided to take pics of the people of campgrounds. His truck was squatting good and I bet his gas mileage was crap.

TXTiger

A Toyota can pull the Space Shuttle ! but can you do it safely? My local dealer said it was up to me to decide and wouldn't commit to a response. Nobody at the dealership however knew anything about the requirement in Calif for a 5th wheel enforcement or non commercial class A to tow 5th wheels. Said they never heard of it.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
While shopping for 5ers we found the sales people (several we talked to) are mostly ignorant of the product they are trying to sell. They also don't have a clue about tow vehicles. Their stock answer is 'Oh yea, it will pull it". The fully thing is when doing the PDI on our new RV I knew as much as if not more than the tech that was doing the walkthrough. I wonder how these sales people would fare trying to sell cars with that kind of lack of knowledge.

marvmarcy

People have their individual opinions on everything, and if you deviate from their opinion, you may be wrong. People often take any comment that agrees with their opinion as confirmation. Newies want a big, beautiful rig to be towable with their current vehicle, so they just accept the salesman's comment as confirmation.

I often get humorous or even sarcastic comments about my truck, but nobody has ever accused me of being overloaded or unsafe.

scottyb

I pulled my 4100 with a SRW 3500 HD for 3500 mi. I don't recommend it. The difference is like night and day, especially in any amount of cross wind. There is no margin for error and any SRW will be severely overloaded on the rear axle. I just went across the scales for the 1st time with my rig fully loaded and I am at 13200 of my DRW's 14K GVWR.

Oh yes, I got the evasive "I've seen a lot of SRW's pulling these rigs" from the salesman, but I already knew I would be getting a new DRW in the near future.