Steps into the trailer, excessive height

porthole

Retired
I hope that some Heartland reps at Hershey this past weekend took the time to walk around incognito and see what the competition has to offer.

There is more then one SOB that has the first step at a level that does not require an independent step to reach the first tread. And the steps don't bounce.

Same with the Cyclones, hopefully the sales rep that we spoke with is taking the info back with him.
Cyclones have only 3 steps with the first is about 15" off the ground. The SOB toy hauler next to the Cyclone had 4 treads and was very easy to get into the coach.

Theresau

I hope so too. BC and BH with 10" frame have 3 steps too and the first is just too far off the ground (at least that's true with our 2014) and the steps are too far apart. Now that we replaced with 4 steps it's just amazingly easier to get in to the coach.

I hope that some Heartland reps at Hershey this past weekend took the time to walk around incognito and see what the competition has to offer.

There is more then one SOB that has the first step at a level that does not require an independent step to reach the first tread. And the steps don't bounce.

Same with the Cyclones, hopefully the sales rep that we spoke with is taking the info back with him.
Cyclones have only 3 steps with the first is about 15" off the ground. The SOB toy hauler next to the Cyclone had 4 treads and was very easy to get into the coach.

MTPockets

We have moved around a lot and have the three step setup. I know of what you speak, but will say too that there are times when that bottom step is pretty close to the ground; it all depends on the contour of the ground by the step. Right now we are in a State Park site, bottom step is 4" from the ground. The site is level, but the spot where the step is, slants up a bit to the picnic table. Also, getting here today, we stopped at a rest area and put the step down and it rested on a curb by the grass, so that bottom step was at ground level. If steps are installed any lower, that could cause problems as you can't be sure your pads will always be flat and level. The real solution would be adjustable steps. What we use when the bottom step us too high is a portable step.

pegmikef

We, like MTPockets, use a portable step when needed and with its adjustable length legs it works nicely when the pavement/ground slopes down from the steps (like at Copperas Creek COE Park, TX last week).

priorguy

I agree with MTPockets too. My North Trail has only 2 steps, it's a real low rider. My permanent sight has a real contour to it. The tongue is almost on the ground. The front step is almost on the ground and the rear step is a touch higher then normal, but not in need of an additional step. Unless you are parked on level ground all the time the additional step might not be useable. Of course it would be useful if you always get a perfectly level site. It's an easy enough conversion like Theresau said, or carry the portable extra step like many others do. Small but considerable annoyance, as it happens every time you enter and exit your coach I bet porthole.

porthole

Retired
We are on our 5th season with the Cyclone.
I would guess 80% of the time we use the extra step. 10% I'm too lazy to put it out and 10% we don't need it.

Given the choice I would take 4 steps over 3 any day

My observations were at Hershey and not a campground. I did take notice of the area the trailers were in with regards to level.

The Cyclones and Landmarks are a good distance off the ground.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Our BH has 3 steps and for the longest time, we used a portable step too. Once Suzi started having trouble with the 3 steps, I built some wooden steps from green treated stringers and cedar legs and stair treads. I made them narrow enough to fit inside the door for travel. Even though Suzi isn't with us, they will really help save our aging knees. Much nicer rise and longer step length makes them worth the extra minute it takes to set up. I carry a few small pieces of 1/2" plywood to level as needed.

Attachments

• IMG_1033.JPG
    IMG_1033.JPG
    259 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_1035.JPG
    IMG_1035.JPG
    295 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_1036.JPG
    IMG_1036.JPG
    257.2 KB · Views: 66

Birchwood

Like Ray I built a wooden 5 stepper and we are able to leave it on our lot in Florida when not in use.A 7 inch rise is safer as we are on the same lot for 4 months.

jpdoggett

We have the 4 step and it is not good the top step is ripping had to put a 2x6 under it to keep it from getting worse Going to build a deck when we get back to Texas

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
We still use our RV EZ Step most of the time, especially when we're at a park for awhile. It helps a lot with the bad knees, especially when coming in with packages from the grocery store or Wal Mart.

Theresau

That's why "I" wanted the 4 steps - 7.5" is just a safer step in general esp. while we are in FL. I still can't believe how easy it is to go up those steps now.

Like Ray I built a wooden 5 stepper and we are able to leave it on our lot in Florida when not in use.A 7 inch rise is safer as we are on the same lot for 4 months.