Pin Box Bike Carrier Question for 5th wheel

CeeCee

I would like to get a bike carrier to mount on my pin box. Do they sell special ones for this? I've been looking online & can't find any info. on it. I have the white plastic cover over the pin box which would have to be removed or cut a hole in it. Do they mount on the side of it? Or do I have to weld a 2" hitch on pin box? I saw one at Myrtle Beach this summer it looked like it mounted on the side of it. Any info. would be greatly appreciated. I have one for my bumper but it's gets too much bounce & I don't feel comfortable with it. Thanks

davebennington

I looked for a bike hitch to mount on our pin box. Like you I did not have any luck, so I purchased the parts and welded one together.
I do not use it any longer for three reasons. First we cover our bikes and the cover does not last very long with the wind hitting it at highway speeds. Second with the bikes on the hitch you feel the effects of the wind as you go down the road. Thirdly you need a ladder or use the truck with the tail gate down in order the put the bikes on or off the hitch. Of course this is my opinion and you may have different results.

dave

noobee

I would like to get a bike carrier to mount on my pin box. Do they sell special ones for this? I've been looking online & can't find any info. on it. I have the white plastic cover over the pin box which would have to be removed or cut a hole in it. Do they mount on the side of it? Or do I have to weld a 2" hitch on pin box? I saw one at Myrtle Beach this summer it looked like it mounted on the side of it. Any info. would be greatly appreciated. I have one for my bumper but it's gets too much bounce & I don't feel comfortable with it. Thanks

Here is the one I've used: http://www.arvika.ca/index.php/us/fifth-wheel

The rails mount to the side of the pin box... and requires the drilling of holes. I'm not sure about the pin box cover as I don't have one.

Too bad you are so far away, as I have one for sale.

regards

CeeCee

Noobee,
Thanks for the info. very helpful. Was there any problems with carrying the bikes on the pin box? I know Dave stated he didn't like it due to wind & getting the bikes down from the carrier. As I stated we really don't like the bumper carrier & can't fit them in the bed due to 5th wheel so this seems to be the only option other than on the front of the truck & I don't know if we'd like that option. I wonder if that company sells to USA?

davebennington

We carry our bikes on the back of the rig, with a hitch and bike carrier that I put together, we also just acquired 2 fold up bikes and I will carry them in the storage area once I get it cleaned out.

dave

TXBobcat

Fulltime
I have a different take on the bike rack on the pin box. I have a Trailair pin box. It has a flat surface on top allowing me to mount a receiver on top.
Here is a link to a thread I started when installing the receiver and bike rack. Bike Rack on Pin Box.... However I have changed the bike rack to one that the bikes sit in rather than hang from.

I like it much better. They don't bounce or move around. Unlike Dave, I don't have any problem with the bikes on the front of my trailer. I don't feel any wind effects on how the trailer handles. Don't know they are there. I did try to put a cover on the bikes but it didn't work well, so I have bikes that are aluminum and they are out in the weather all the time.

As to taking the bikes off the rack I use one of the folding plastic steps but I do have an advantage being almost 6'3". So yes if you have short legs a ladder might be necessary or use the tailgate on the truck.

One advantage to the bikes being on the pin box is that they don't bounce around on the rear of the trailer. Heard a few problems with the bike rack breaking, the hitch breaking and loosing the bikes or dragging them down the highway. That won't happen with the rack on the pin box.

One problem with one being on the pin box.. You may not have enough room to mount the receiver and/or bike rack. Short bed, or pin box does not extend much beyond the front of the trailer.

Hope this helps...

FWIW
BC

CeeCee

Bob,
Thanks for all the info. Noobee posted that his is bolted on the side of his pin box. He also gave me the link to the company that makes a bike rack that mounts that way. I also saw one like that in Myrtle Beach on an Elkridge like mine so I think that would work. I'll have too check it all out.

Lance & Jo

Agree with all Bob has said although I was lucky enough to have a son with a welder in the shop. I have built 2 pin box mounts, 1 on the original Lippert box and one on the flat Trail Air box. Both worked well with only 1 caution note. The first carrier I used was one that the bikes hung off and it moved around a bit. I changed bikes and the new bikes handle bar was just a little longer so it rubbed on the front cap a bit. Moving to a new stronger carrier solved the problem. So far have made 3 trips up and down the Baja, 1 to Canada, 1 to mid west as far as Ohio and this year on the Gulf coast with no problems and never notice the bikes. 2. Bike Rack.JPG

noobee

Noobee,
Thanks for the info. very helpful. Was there any problems with carrying the bikes on the pin box? I know Dave stated he didn't like it due to wind & getting the bikes down from the carrier. As I stated we really don't like the bumper carrier & can't fit them in the bed due to 5th wheel so this seems to be the only option other than on the front of the truck & I don't know if we'd like that option. I wonder if that company sells to USA?

No problem in carrying them. We carried a 2-step mini ladder that we used to mount/dismount the bikes (also had other uses to this). From what I understand, the manufacturer's main market is the USA.

CeeCee

Thanks, we also carry a 2 step mini ladder so that would be no problem. I contacted a dealer for the carrier that is located in NY State to get info. on it but they haven't emailed me back yet. Their business is 5 hrs away so they would have to ship it to me. Guess I have till next spring to get it being we are only going Rving 2 more times this fall.

CeeCee

Noobee do u still have that pin box bike carrier for sale? How many bikes does it carry?i live inUsa don't know if u would be interested in selling and shipping to NJ?thanks